The top 10 indie girl bands is a list made up of some stellar rock chicks. We've covered everything from punk rock to dream pop and garage bands in this list. Enjoy our version of the best Indie girl bands.
- Babes in Toyland were a driving force during the Riot Grrrl movement in rock in the '80s and '90s. They've influenced many of the indie bands you will find on this list. They released their first single, "Dust Cake Boy," under the Sub Pop label in 1989.
- The Donnas These Palo Alto natives are pop-punk with a hard rock edge. They started out on the major label Atlantic Records, but left Atlantic and created their own independent label, Purple Feather Records, in 2006. "Don't Wait for Me" was the first single released from their label in 2007.
- CocoRosie Bianca and Sierra Casady make up this unusual sister-pair. They bring unique and ethereal music to their audience night after night. Their indie folk-tronic sound bring to mind a combination of Kate Bush, Bjork and Portishead. CocoRosie is on tour promoting their new album "Grey Oceans."
- Indigo Girls Amy Ray and Emily Sellers are the folk rock duo that make up Indigo Girls. Friends since early childhood, these Georgia girls have been performing together since high school. Not only are they successful musicians, but they are entrepreneurs outside of the music industry. Their album "Poseidon and the Bitter Bug" was released off their own independent label, IG Recordings, in 2007.
- Tegan and Sara are identical twins who started their indie pop band in Canada in 1999. They have toured with such greats as Neil Young and The Pretenders. They released their first song, "Under Feet Like Ours," independently in 1999.
- The Like This retro-pop all-girl band was formed in 2001 at the very young ages of fifteen and sixteen. Their 1960s girl-group pop beat is always evolving. Their latest album, "Release Me," came out in June 2010.
- Dum Dum Girls This indie LA band is under the famous Sub-Pop label and are known for their punk-pop sound. The name of the band is a homage to Talk Talk, The Vaselines and Iggy Pop. "I Will Be" is their first full length album under Sub-Pop.
- Warpaint Yet another four-piece all-girl band out of Los Angeles with a unique psychedelic post-punk sound with dreamy undertones. They will have you mesmerized by their music. "Undertow" is a must listen to as well as their cover of David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes."
- Vivian Girls This all-girl indie band hails from Brooklyn, New York. The trio falls under the garage rock description and are considered by many as the underground darlings of indie music. Their second album, "Everything Goes Wrong," was released in 2009.
- Slumber Party Straight out of Motor City, Slumber Party is always finding ways to pump up their experimental dream pop sound. This all-girl indie band is worth exploring. Be sure to check out their beautiful song "Any Other Day."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”