Top 10 Indie Movies 2009
The top 10 Indie movies of 2009 came as a big surprise for most audiences. Indie movies are becoming more and more popular. Made on a small budget, adored by many, and easy to become successful, Indie movies have heart. They aren't made from a formula and instead are made with soul.
- "Sin Nombre". Following South American immigrants trying to make a new life in the U.S. isn't a story that's unfamiliar to many movie goers. However, "Sin Nombre" tells that story in a new and fresh light. It has been filmed with the style of a documentary which gives it a much more realistic feel. As an indie movie, this one was top notch in 2009.
- "Lemon Tree". The complexities of Palestinian life are difficult to capture. However, the Indie movie "The Lemon Tree" in 2009 attempts to do just that. By telling the true story of a widow from Palestine who gets a new neighbor, the atmosphere of politic unrest is always looming.
- "Before Tomorrow". This film is the third installment of a trilogy that follows Inuit people and their culture. The director's ancestral heritage to the Inuit people, bring a lot of heart to the film. It explores the decline of Inuit culture after having contact with Europeans.
- "Of Time and the City". When independent filmmakers tackle a documentary it usually consists of labor intensity and personal anguish. This is the solid foundation for the film "Of Time And The City". In 2009, the director digs from his childhood in Liverpool. Discussing the Monarchy, religion, and the saving grace of cinema, this film is unique and pinpoints childhood confusion.
- "Moon". An indie, sci-fi, future cult classic, type of movie is what "Moon" has to offer to audiences. It has the great themes and motifs of an amazing sci-fi film, but it stays true to the art of film making. The Director, Duncan Jones, has really stepped into a unique style with this film which was presented in 2009.
- "The Hurt Locker". "War is a drug." This is the film's opening statement. The storyline only proves that to be true. Following a group of bomb squad soldiers, this movie shows the addiction that war can feed. An indie movie with big ideas, "The Hurt Locker" showed big budgets films how war films can be done in 2009.
- "(500) Days of Summer". An indie romantic comedy is hard to come by. For the most part, "(500) Days of Summer" brings new life to the romantic comedy genre. The editing and general plot line of this film is refreshing. The soundtrack is even better! Certainly one of the top Indie movies of 2009.
- "In The Loop". A dark, Indie comedy never looked so good! This movie tackles the relationship between politics and status. The line is typically blurred and this film make a mockery of politics and the communications between countries.
- "The White Ribbon". Set during a cold time in Germany, "The White Ribbon" explores a world in which tough times are regular. Each family deals with horrible issues such as incest, loneliness, obsession, and cruelty. This film was made in a haunting black and white treatment, which makes its characters fee almost like ghosts.
- "Summer Hours". When a family member dies, it is typically difficult for others to let go of their memorabilia. But in "Summer Hours", the family lets go of a mother's things without emotion or thought. Little do they know the impact its going to make on them later down the road.