With so many gangster movies to date there are many opinions about the top 10 mafia movies. Over the years there have been mafia movies of every genre. The ever elusive mafia gangster and their families are of constant interest to those on the outside. Most Mafia gangsters have been depicted as brutal, but some have been portrayed as very loving and even comedic. The top mafia movies of all time are listed below.
- "Once Upon A Time In America" – This epic mafia movie follows the lives of four young boys as they grow up in a Jewish ghetto in Brooklyn, New York in the 1920s. They start off as petty criminals and eventually rise to the top of organized crime in New York City. The film spans close to five decades.
- "Donnie Brasco" – This true story follows FBI agent Joseph Pistone as he goes undercover and infiltrates the mafia for six years. As Donnie Brasco, Pistone is vouched for by a has-been wise guy who becomes his close friend. Before the FBI uncovers Donnie's true identity as an FBI agent, Donnie tries to save the life of his mafia friend.
- "A Bronx Tale" – This must see mafia movie was based on actually events that took place during the adolescent and teen years of actor/writer Chazz Palminteri. It is a mafia and coming of age story rolled into one. The movie also deals with race relations in the Bronx New York during the nineteen sixties.
- "Miller's Crossing" – This mafia movie revolves around two rival mob gangs who are at war, one Irish and the other Italian. The gangs are involved in a deadly power struggle during the prohibition era. The film also has a good guy who plays both gangs against each other to bring them down.
- "The Godfather" – About the most powerful crime family in America and Italy and how almost anything goes to stay on top. This family has one rule that no family member can ever break; they never sell drugs. Throughout the film, the patriarch of the family tries desperately to convince his reluctant son to take over the family business after his passing.
- "Eastern Promises" – If you don't know much about the Russian mafia, this is a must see film. The film gives a realistic depiction of the brutality involving the Russian mafia operating in London England. This film has won several awards and was picked as one of the top ten movies of 2007.
- "Hoodlum" – A fictional account of a gang war involving Jewish mobster Dutch Schultz, Italian mobster Lucky Luciano and black gangster Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson. The film deals with all three gangs and how they will stop at nothing to take over the illegal numbers operation in Harlem New York in the nineteen twenties and thirties.
- "Goodfellas" – The true story of mobster Henry Hill who ran with the mafia for thirty years and never became a made man. Towards the end, Henry starts abusing drugs, becomes paranoid and eventually gets arrested. Henry turns and rats on his mafia buddies to avoid a lengthy prison sentence.
- "The Departed" – A superb film about the Irish mafia operating in Boston Massachusetts. Both the mob and the police have an informant planted on the other's side. When each side finds out about the plants, the two informants desperately try to find out the others identity.
- "Casino" – The true story of Frank Rosenthal, who ran three successful casinos in Las Vegas for the Chicago mafia. Frank's only job was to make sure the casinos made money and the gamblers went home broke.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!