Have you ever wondered about the top 10 most dangerous jobs? You don't have to sell insurance policies to be curious. Check out this list of the most dangerous jobs and see if you can guess all of them. We bet you'll be surprised.
- There's more to it than putting a worm on a hook. With the broadcast of the popular series "The Deadliest Catch," people have finally come to realize just how dangerous fishing can really be. In fact, fishing is ranked as one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, claiming an average of 129 fatalities for ever 100,000 workers. The worst part? These guys average less than $30k a year.
- I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay. Anytime you mix a job with plenty of Mother Nature, you're looking for trouble, and such is the case for those poor loggers. This dangerous job claims a hefty number of lives, averaging 116 fatalities for every 100,000 workers. It's still less than the number of felled trees, however, so the human race is still in the lead.
- Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be… farmers? Believe it or not, farmers and ranchers come in third on our list of the ten most dangerous jobs. It makes sense since the farmers not only deal with Mother Nature and her quirks, but also animals that can easily weigh over a ton and heavy machinery. If anything, we're surprised this job isn't higher up on the list, but farmers only average 40 fatalities for every 100,000 workers.
- Next up on our list is the structural construction worker. No, these aren't the guys that are standing around on the ground going "chickie chickie wow-wah" at the pretty girls. We're talking the guys, working on the skyscrapers, several stories up. It comes as no surprise that this dangerous job averages 46 deaths for every 100,000 workers, though it usually has less injuries than farming.
- No wonder Oscar was a grouch. Not only did he live in a trash can, but he had to deal with crazy sanitation workers who were fighting for their lives. It's true! For every 100,000 workers, 37 of those will end in a tragic loss of life, making this one of the smelliest and most deadly jobs of all time.
- Yeah, but they get dancing flight attendants. This is true, but it doesn't stop the unlucky airplane pilots from coming in at number 6 on our list of the most dangerous jobs. Claiming a shocking 72 lives for every 100,000 workers, the only reason they don't rank higher on our list is because there are only an average of two reported injuries for every 100,000 workers.
- Did your mama tell you to stay off the roof? Chances are that she did, and for good reason! Roofers lose an average of 34 people for every 100,000 workers, but it's one of those jobs that need to be done, regardless. Risking falls, cave-ins and electrocutions, roofing is a very dangerous job indeed.
- Recent collapses around the world have taught us that the coal miner has a very dangerous job. Working thousands of feet below the Earth's surface, they can perish in explosions or cave-ins at any time. For every 100,000 workers, roughly 22 coal miners will lose their lives on the job.
- Another sea-faring job that ranks on our list of the ten most dangerous jobs is that of the Merchant Marine. Responsible for a number of tasks, including moving cargo and passengers and even running deep-sea merchant ships, the Merchant Marine is almost as dangerous a job as that of our grizzled fishermen. They still suffer an average of 23 fatalities per 100,000 workers but they usually make nearly double the pay.
- Moving hand in hand with the farmer, we come to our final job in the list of the top ten most dangerous jobs; that of the miller. Responsible for running huge (and potentially dangerous) farming equipment, miller's take harvested crops and move them to trailers or silos for safe keeping. While they only average twelve fatalities per year, the thought of suffocating in a room full of corn is truly frightening. It only takes the one time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.