The top 10 R rated movies of 2008 are critically acclaimed and fan appreciated movies. The year presented a large number of movies that made millions of dollars and was a watershed for genre pictures at the Academy Awards that year. From movies about drugs, professional wrestling and super villains, here are the best R rated movies of 2008.
- “The Wrestler” – Mickey Rourke made his comeback in this R rated movie of 2008. Darren Aronofsky directed this movie, arguably the most mainstream film in the director’s career. The movie takes the theme of growing irrelevant and plants it in the world of professional wrestling.
- “Slumdog Millionaire” – This Oscar winning Best Film is one of the top R rated movies of 2008. Directed by Danny Boyle, the man behind genre hits “Trainspotting” and “28 Days Later,” won his only Oscar for this Bollywood hit. The movie follows a young boy from poverty as he finds love above his station in life.
- “Bronson” – “Bronson” tells the real-life story of a man sentenced to seven years in prison who spends over 30 years in prison thanks to his violent personality. The movie, starring Tom Hardy, follows the life of the prisoner stuck in the British prison system. This top R rated movie of 2008 is extremely violent, sharing a lot with “Clockwork Orange” and “Fight Club.”
- “Pineapple Express” – “Pineapple Express” is a stoner comedy starring Seth Rogan and an excellent James Franco. Rogan plays a guy who witnesses a murder and goes on the run from the killer, played by “Office Space’s” Gary Cole. This top R rated movie of 2008 is from the mind of Judd Apatow.
- “Tropic Thunder” – Battling “Pineapple Express” for the title of best comedy R rated movies of 2008 is “Tropic Thunder,” directed by Ben Stiller. The movie follows a group of egotistical actors making a war movie who end up in the middle of a real war. Also, witness a comic performance by Tom Cruise in a cameo roll.
- “Let the Right One In” – The United States remake of “Let the Right One In” is coming out on October 1, 2010, but the original Swedish movie deserves a large fan base of its own. Based on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, this R rated movie of 2008 is about a young female vampire striking up a friendship with a twelve-year old boy.
- “Zack and Miri Make a Porno” – Kevin Smith’s contribution to the top R rated movies of 2008 is “Zack and Miri Make a Porno.” Seth Rogan and Elizabeth Banks star in the movie as friends who decide to make a porno to make extra money. The movie also stars former porn star Traci Lords and recent porn star Katie Morgan.
- “In Bruges” – Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are hit men sent to Bruges after a botched hit. While in Bruges, the two hit men find themselves on the run from a mobster played by Ralph Fiennes. They also meet hookers, dwarves and a lot of alcohol.
- “JCVD” – Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself in this self-referential film. Van Damme finds himself an out of work actor who plans to return home to Brussels. However, he ends up in a hostage situation and must find himself to help save the day and stop the criminals from hurting anyone.
- “Wanted” – Timur Bekmambetov, a Russian filmmaker who made his name with the “Night Watch” horror series directs “Wanted,” one of the top R rated movies of 2008. The movie stars Angelina Jolie, who appeared in a partial nude scene, as part of a secret organization of super villains.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.