Top 10 Rock Songs 2009
The top 10 rock songs of 2009 were all from phenomenal bands. These well-known artists have their own individual style, fan following and received nominations for awards for their music throughout their careers.
- "New Divide" Initially written and released specifically for the second "Transformers" movie "Revenge of the Fallen," this top ten Linkin Park hit went all the way to number one on the 2009 United States Billboard Rock Songs. "New Divide" was not only the main theme songs of the "Transformers 2" soundtrack, but also released as a single in May 2009.
- "Know Your Enemy" Released on Green Day's eighth album, "21st Century Breakdown," "Know Your Enemy" became a top ten rock song when it reached number one on the 2009 United States Billboard Rock Songs chart. This song is also a popular hit on "Green Day: Rock Band" game.
- "Do What You Do" Mudvayne is a heavy metal band, but their songs always hit the mainstream charts due to the band's powerful lyrics. This particular song, released on their 2009 album titled "The New Game," rose to the number two spot on the United States Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks.
- "The Night" Released as the fourth single from Disturbed's fourth studio album titled "Indestructible," this top ten rock song went all the way to number two on the 2009 Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. This was the first song to be completed musically from the "Indestructible" album.
- "Whiskey Hangover" Initially released as a promotional single in 2009, this Godsmack top ten hit quickly rose to number one on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. "Whiskey Hangover" was written and promoted to tie in with the rock festival "Crue Fest 2" in 2009.
- "Sound of Madness" One of the best new bands of the last decade, Shinedown released this top ten single in 2009 where it shot straight to number one on the United States Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. WWE used this song for the headlining match at "Wrestlemania 25" between The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels.
- "Use Somebody" Kings of Leon had a Grammy-winning hit with this song in 2009. In addition, it stayed at the number one spot on the United States Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks for several weeks. "Use Somebody" was the second single released off the band's fourth album titled "Only by the Night."
- "Lifeline" The first single released on Papa Roach's sixth album, "Metamorphosis", this top ten rock song rose to number one on the 2009 United States Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. This song was nominated by Fuse TV for "Best Video of 2009."
- "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" This top ten rock song by Cage the Elephant released in 2009 debuting at number three on Billboard's Alternative Songs chart and number eight on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. This popular chart-topper has been used for a number of movies and TV shows including "The Vampire Diaries," "Leverage," "The Blind Side" and "The Bounty Hunter."
- "Careless Whisper" Seether re-imagined their unique version of this George Michael song, making it a top ten hit. Seether's cover debuted at number five on Billboard's Mainstream, Modern Rock and combined Rock Songs charts for 2009.
Posted on: Oct. 04, 2010