Top 10 Songs Of The 90s
Being a kid during the age of Britney Spears and the rise of the Internet was cool, and the top 10 songs of the 90s were even cooler. The songs of the 90s expressed the spirit of Western culture during that time period. Surely your favorite of the songs of the 90s will make this list right here:
- "Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears. Oh what would the list of top 10 songs of the 90s be without Britney's famed single? After all, this track shaped modern pop music and culture even to this day. Britney Spears in a school girl uniform? Not so influential.
- "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Every white guy's favorite track made this list of best songs of the 90s. In his first album, Swass, Mix-A-Lot established himself as a viable rapper with promise. Have no doubt about it, this hip-hop song has had monumental effects on present day rap.
- "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. Who could forget these guys? "I Want It That Way" was more than just one of the best 10 songs of the 90s, it was nominated for countless awards (including 3 Grammys).
- "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer. Barely making the decade, "Can't Touch This" was released in 1990 to a welcoming audience. To this day, Hammer's quintessential hit has been parodied well into the 21st century. After all, who can resist the almighty "Hammertime"?
- "Hypnotize" by the Notorious B.I.G. Biggie's almighty verses sound sick even well after his death. "Hypnotize" is still sampled today in many films and documentaries about the rise of Hip-Hop in the 1990's. B.I.G. went on to make some of the most recognized songs of the 90s prior to his untimely demise.
- "Intergalactic" by the Beastie Boys. Also in the genre of Hip-Hop, Brooklyn rappers the Beastie Boys show off their talent in this track. "Intergalactic" hit high on the Billboard 100, and was the highest ranked track for the group in Britain. Without a doubt, the Beastie Boys (and "Intergalactic") deserve a top spot among the songs of the 90s.
- "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Cobain and his crew composed this well-received single in 1991. The song has been noted as having a profound effect on rock by MTV, Rolling Stone, and VH1. Indeed, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is matched, at least in rock music, with no other songs of the 90s.
- "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice. No list of the best 10 songs of the 90s would be complete without mentioning Vanilla's incredibly successful track. "Ice Ice Baby" was the first hip-hop song to top the Billboard 100 charts, leading to a mainstream victory for the up-and-coming genre.
- "California Love" by Tupac. Who could forget "Cali Love"? Of course, we all remember the 1990s as the end of Tupac (as well as his rise), but the famed rapper managed to stick with us for so long with this track. In the song, we learn just what made West-Coast rap what it was.
- "Gonna Make You Sweat" by C+C Music Factory. More colloquially known as "Everybody Dance Now", this song was one of the best songs of the 90s for sure. Billboard ranked "Gonna Make You Sweat" as the most popular dance track for five weeks straight.
The best songs of the 90s made us dance, they made us cry, but most of all, they made us nostalgic. The 1990s were good to music, so let's all be good to the 90's by cranking up the volume on some of these old school hits!