The top ten thriller movies of 2009 include movies from Oscar winning directors as well as the Oscar winning movie for the year. Whether the movie presents Nazi hunters or bomb diffusers, these movies entertained and thrilled moviegoers in 2009.
- “Inglourious Basterds” – Quentin Tarantino returned in 2009 with his new movie, one of the top thriller movies of 2009. Brad Pitt stars as the leader of a group of Nazi hunters dropped into Nazi occupied France. The movie is full of great dialogue, jaw-dropping scenes and is one of the best movies of the decade.
- “The Hurt Locker” – Kathryn Bigelow won the Oscar over her ex-husband James Cameron for this, one of the top thriller movies of 2009. James Renner stars as a member of an elite U.S. military bomb-defusing unit during the Iraq war. The movie avoids the generic battle sequences to instead give us a look at the men behind the action.
- “Star Trek” – J.J. Abrams reboots the classic sci-fi franchise and morphs fresh blood into the series to create one of the top thriller movies of 2009. The movie goes back to the crew’s first mission and shows how the men we know developed into the heroes of the previous movies.
- “Zombieland” – Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg star in this zombie movie, one of the top thriller movies of 2009. The movie takes a creative approach to the zombie genre, making it seem fresh once again, as the two actors go on a road trip to try to find a safe place to live after the apocalypse.
- “District 9” – South African filmmaker Neill Blomkamp directs this sci-fi movie, one of the top thriller movies of 2008. The movie mixes the horrors of apartheid with an alien infestation. A large spacecraft ends up hovering over Johannesburg and when malnourished aliens are found aboard, the world’s governments become the real evil.
- “The Road” – Based on the novel by Cormac McCarthy, “The Road” is a post apocalyptic movie following a man and his son, one of the most disturbing of the top thriller movies of 2009. The movie is dark and desolate and presents the father and son with intense dangers in one of the best movies of the year.
- “Sherlock Holmes” – Robert Downey Jr. stars in this reinvention of the “Sherlock Holmes” mystery series, one of the top thriller movies of 2009. Holmes is less of a deductive sleuth in this movie and is more hands on. It makes the movie much more entertaining than past Holmes adaptations.
- “Drag Me to Hell” – Sam Raimi directs this horror movie, one of the top thriller movies of 2009. The movie is a throwback to Raimi’s debut “Evil Dead” films, a comic splatstick effort where a young girl is cursed by an old gypsy woman she wrongs and tries to find someone who can help her avoid her ultimate fate.
- “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince”– The sixth “Harry Potter” movie starts off with a great battle and then takes the three young wizards and puts them in dangerous situations leading to the explosive climax. The series continues to grow up and the action is amped up, making this one of the top thriller movies of 2009.
- “Watchmen”– The graphic novel for “Watchmen” is considered one of the best novels of all time and the movie adaptation is one of the top thriller movies of 2009. The world has banned super heroes and when someone begins to assassinate members of a group of classic heroes, they must come out of retirement to save their own.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.