This list of the top 10 underrated movies includes award-winning sleeper hits like “Sideways” and moving character portraits like “House of D,” all of which have failed to receive the credit they deserve. While acknowledged by the industry with a slew of nominations and prestigious independent awards, these films have yet to be appreciated by critics and fans and highlight the careers of talented actors like Zooey Deschanel and Robert Downey, Jr. Regardless, many of these films are considered classics and feature some of the greatest performances ever filmed from seasoned actors like Jeff Bridges and Paul Giamatti.
- "Eulogy" (2004) An amazing ensemble cast consisting of actors like Zooey Deschanel, Hank Azaria, Famke Janssen and Glenne Headly highlights this film about a dysfunctional family after the death of their patriarch. One of the top underrated movies in recent years, this charming comedy features a hilarious script by director Michael Clancy as well as a delightful, moving performance by actress Zooey Deschanel.
- "Dummy" (2002) This story of a man who quits his job to become a ventriloquist was an early film for award-nominated actress Vera Farmiga and features an impressive performance by Adrien Brody, who learned ventriloquism for the film and operated the dummy live on set without any post-production dubbing.
- "Sideways" (2004) An enjoyable road comedy about two friends who journey across the California wine country, “Sideways” won an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay and made a sizable impact on the wine industry. Of note is character actor Paul Giamatti’s breakthrough performance as embittered writer Miles Raymond.
- "House of D" (2004) The directorial debut of actor David Duchovny, “House of D” may be one of the top ten underrated movies of all time. The film follows a man as he relives his childhood in 1970s New York. The film features a must-see performance by young actor Anton Yelchin, as well as an emotional turn by actor Robin Williams as the mentally challenged janitor, Pappas.
- "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (2005) The film that reinvigorated Robert Downey Jr.’s acting career, “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” features exceptional dialouge and hilarious performances from Downey and Val Kilmer. The film follows an actor (played perfectly by Downey) and a begrudging detective (Kilmer) as they attempt to solve a pulp-esque murder mystery.
- "Dark City" (1998) One of the top ten underrated movies in recent years, this film follows a city run by an alien race known as “The Strangers” who use telekinesis to remake an eerie, nondescript city each night in an effort to understand its humans inhabitants. An exceptionally well-crafted noir film by “The Crow” director Alex Proyas, the film was heavily influenced by Fritz Lang’s 1927 masterpiece “Metropolis.”
- "Winter Passing" (2005) A masterful, poignant drama about a lonely woman who travels home to visit her recluse writer father, “Winter Passing” includes some of the finest performances in recent years from actors Ed Harris and Zooey Deschanel, as well as a heartwarming performance by comedian Will Farrell. The film also holds the strange distinction of being the only film in cinematic history to reference the town of Traverse City, Michigan.
- "The Station Agent" (2003) A moving drama about a man who seeks solitude in an abandoned train station won director Thomas McCarthy an Independent Spirit Award for Best Original Screenplay. One of the top ten underrated movies of the decade, this warm character study includes one of the best performances of Peter Dinklage’s career.
- "Saved!" (2004) This satirical teen comedy about the students of a Christian high school features standout performances by actors Mandy Moore and Macaulay Culkin, Patrick Fugit, Mary Louise Parker and award-winning actor Martin Donovan. “Saved!” received much criticism from Christian organizations upon its release and is noted as the debut of actress Eva Amurri, daughter of actress Susan Sarandon.
- "Fearless" (1993) Director Peter Weir’s haunting drama about a man who thinks he is immortal after surviving a plane crash features what is arguably one of the best performances of Jeff Bridges’s career. One of the top ten underrated movies of the past decade, the film earned actress Rosie Perez a well-deserved Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.