Top 5 Historical Movies Of 2008
There were quite a few historical movies made in 2008, and this article will list the top 5 historical movies of 2008. The year 2008 was quite a good year at taking a look back at history. For some reason, maybe because there is just so much information about it and its relatively recent history, WWII was a popular theme for Hollywood historical movies in 2008.
- "Valkyrie." Starring Tom Cruise and Terence Stamp, "Valkyrie" is an excellent historical thriller which concerns a plot by German officers to assassinate Hitler. This is a film that excels in acting, direction and screen writing. And it's all true, to boot!
- "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." This is a Holocaust drama based on a novel about WWII. Although it is historical fiction, it gives the viewer a real sense of history as they visit this dark time. WWII is seen through the eyes of two eight year old boys. One child is a Jewish prisoner in a concentration camp, the other the son of a German officer. Vera Farmiga stars in this movie, which was one of the major historical movies of 2008.
- "Miracle at St. Anna." Another WWII drama, this historical fiction movie switches back and forth in time between 1984 New York City and 1944 Tuscany. A WWII veteran remembers and relives his experiences during the war. It was directed by Spike Lee.
- "Frost/Nixon." So realistic at times it is easy to forget that you are watching actors! Michael Sheen plays British television personality David Frost and Frank Langella plays the former president. This film concerns the famous interviews of 1977. This was an important historical movie of 2008 and a great critical success.
- "Che." Benicio del Toro stars as the revolutionary who played a featured role in the Cuban revolution. This historical movie biopic of 2008 brings the viewer back to that important time in history.