Top Dance Songs 2009
The quality of top dance songs from 2009 has been unmatched in the two years since. There was a vibrancy about the songs released then that still make them juke box favorites today. 2009 also saw the first releases from stars who are now well established not only in the US but also globally. With the summer fast approaching and a whole plethora of new dance tunes awaiting release, it remains to be seen if any become classics like those from two years ago.
- "Poker Face" – Lady Gaga. Although not her first single release, "Poker Face" is widely considered to be the song that made the world sit up and take notice of the phenomenon known as Lady Gaga. The story goes that the song was a tribute by Lady Gaga to her rock & roll boyfriends and bisexuality. Lyrically, the main references are towards sex and gambling.
- "Love Etc." – Pet Shop Boys. "Love Etc." heralded the return of the Pet Shop Boys to the top of the Billboard dance chart after an absence of 8 years. The British duo first shot to prominence in the 1980’s and have continued to turn out top dance songs ever since.
- "Sexy Bitch" – David Guetta Featuring Akon. 2009 was a golden year for French-born DJ and producer David Guetta. He had several hit songs in 2009, and "Sexy Bitch", which is a collaboration with R&B star Akon, was the biggest seller. It hit number one in thirteen countries.
- "Away"- Enrique Iglesias Featuring Sean Garrett. "Away" is the first track lifted from Enrique Iglesias, the Latin heartthrob’s greatest hit album. It wasn’t the global hit that Enrique is used to, but still Away enjoyed the number one spot on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play Chart and is one of the years top dance songs.
- "Boom Boom Pow" – The Black Eyed Peas. "Boom Boom Pow" is one of the top dance songs of the year by one of the biggest bands in the world. The hits machine that is the Black Eyed Peas churn out classy, irresistible dance tunes with seemingly little effort.
- "Human" – The Killers. "Human" is an upbeat tune with catchy lyrics and it put Brandon Flowers and the Killers on the international map. The Internet debate that raged over the lyric of the chorus only helped this tune sell even more copies. Human is deservedly one of the top dance songs of 2009.
- "Diva" – Beyonce. The hits just keep coming for the stunning Ms Knowles. Although "Diva" has its roots firmly planted in R&B, the groove is more hip-hop. Lyrically, the song contains the message of female empowerment and independence. Not surprising when this song is delivered by one of the world’s most famous independent women.
- "Waking Up In Vegas" – Katy Perry. The delightful Ms Perry, or should we say Mrs Brand, brought us another of the top dance songs of 2009. In an interview, Katy said that that the inspiration for the song was that one night you’re enjoying a drink in LA and wham, you wake up in Vegas.
- "S.O.S" (Let The Music Play) – Jordin Sparks. "S.O.S" is the second single to be released from the second album by American Idol winner Jordan Sparks. The electropop song combines today’s dance beats with the synth grooves from the 1980’s.
- "Release Me" – Agnes. One of the top dance songs of the years came to us courtesy of Swedish songstress Agnes. Generally considered as being a lot classier than other standard Europop offerings, "Release Me" was a hit worldwide.