Top Paying Jobs In America
The top paying jobs in America include a variety of health care, information technology and sales occupations. CNNMoney.com lists its best jobs in America based on each occupation’s industry sector, salary and the quality of life for job offers.
- Anesthesiologist. An anesthesiologist administers anesthesia for patients during surgery. These professionals also assist patients before, during and after surgery to ensure patients react to anesthesia well. CNNMoney.com considers this the top paying job in America, with a median salary of $290,000 per year.
- General Surgeon. General surgeons are physicians who specialize in surgical medicine. These professionals perform a variety of surgeries on patients, but do not specialize in a specific area of medicine. This occupation paid a median salary of $260,000 per year in 2010 and ranked number two among the top paying jobs in America.
- Emergency Room Physician. An emergency room physician is a doctor who specializes in emergency care. These professionals work in an emergency room and quickly assess and treat patients with a variety of elements in an injury. The median salary for this occupation was $250,000 per year and among the ten top paying jobs in America.
- Obstetrician/Gynecologist. Obstetricians and gynecologists, more commonly referred to as OB/GYN's, are physicians who specialize in women's reproductive health. These professionals can work in a variety of healthcare environments and earn annual median wages of $210,000 per year.
- Psychiatrists. Psychiatrists are the highest paid mental health professionals. These professionals work with patients who have mental illnesses and prescribe treatment and medication. Ranking number five among the top paying jobs in America, these professionals earn a median salary of $185,000 per year.
- Primary Care Physician. These professionals are typically the first medical provider patients see. Primary care physicians diagnose and treat a number of medical problems and may refer patients to other medical specialists. The median salary for this occupation was $174,000 per year.
- Nurse Anesthetist. Similar to the role of an anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetists administer anesthesia for patients and assist patients before, during and after surgery. Ranking number seven among the top paying jobs in America and thirteen overall, the median salary was $156,000 per year.
- Program Management Director. These professionals oversee the development, marketing and sales process for one or several products for an organization. This often includes overseeing a group of project managers. The average salary for this occupation was $140,000 per year.
- Software Engineering/Development Director. Software engineers and development directors oversee and direct the services of software development staff. These professionals use a combination of technical and management skills to successfully accomplish their job. Ranking number nine among the top paying jobs in America, the annual median salary was $144,000 per year.
- Sales Director. A sales director plays an important role in an organization. These professionals motivate a company's sales force and ensure profitability and growth. Many of these professionals earn bonuses or commissions based on the performance of the sales force. The median salary of sales directors was $142,000 per year.