Top Ten Action Movies
The top ten action movies have you dangling at the edge of your seat. They make you want to grab a gun and start capping off bad guys. The top ten action movies don't have a lot of unnecessary dialogue, but those action movies do have a lot of explosions. Gunfire is a must. Gratuitous violence and nudity also make appearances in the top ten action movies. So, which action movies make the list? Well, there's only one way to find out. Here are the top ten action movies.
- "Die Hard" (1988). Yippe Kiyaah! The wise cracking, bad guy capping, explosion causing John McClane. This movie set the standard for action movies. If you want a successful action movie, follow the "Die Hard" model. Even in 2010, this particular flick would top any red blooded man's list for top action movie.
- "Lethal Weapon" (1987). Not only was this one of the greatest Action movies ever, i.e. having more gratuitous violence and nudity than you can shake a remote at, it also defined the "buddy cop" movie genre. All buddy cop films try to recreate this particular formula in vain.
- "Lethal Weapon 2" (1989). How did this one make the list? Yes, sequels very rarely add up to their predecessors. Not in the case of this flick, however. More violence, more nudity and even more explosions made this film a classic action movie in it's own right. Danny Glover is great as Lt. Murtaugh in the film, and Mel Gibson doesn't miss a beat as Riggs.
- "Live Free or Die Hard" (2007). Reprising his role as John McClane for a fourth time, Bruce Willis proves that he can still kick much ass and doesn't bother taking names. Come on man, he takes on a fighter jet with a big rig. He drives a car into a flying helicopter. Who can question the shear awesomeness of something like that?
- "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" (1991). You knew Ahhhnawld would make this list. He's the king of the action movie. Not only is this particular flick one of the greatest action movies ever, it's also one of the top sci-fi movies ever. Two futuristic cyborgs destroying buildings, people and more buildings. What an awesome action flick! "Terminator 2" is the film that made the "Terminator" series a classic.
- "The Matrix" (1999). Whew, what can be said about this film. No movie is flawless, but this one probably comes the closest. A sick story line, tons of bad-ass martial arts moves, explosions, explosions and even more explosions. If this film didn't make this list, all of you reading this should complain.
- "Aliens" (1986). Another flick that could technically be categorized as a sci-fi flick, but Sigourney Weaver wielding some of the most awesome firepower on screen quickly elevated this film to action movie superiority. It's man versus monster. It's an all out blood bath that just so happens to be in space. If you've never seen this film then you need to be smacked... hard.
- "Gladiator" (2000). This is what one would describe as action, Roman style. Yeah, there's a story line. It's a pretty good one. But after the first six minutes of the film, you won't really care. You'll be waiting for the next gruesome slaughter or some beheading. This is an action film that's a cut above the rest.
- "Kill Bill: Vol 1" (2003). A slightly wordy film for an action movie, but you'll need the drawn out dialogue to counter the simply visceral rage displayed on screen. Uma Thurman get's a million sexy points for kicking so much ass. Seriously, she kicks ass from scene one until the credits.
- "Avatar" (2009). How many awards did this thing win? It's arguably the best movie ever made... ever. Regardless of what genre you want to throw this one into, at it's core, it's an action film simple and plain. The best action film.