Top Ten Rock Songs Of 2008
The top ten rock songs of 2008 were released by a variety of well-known bands. There were a couple of rock groups who had more than one top ten hit in 2008. The bands that produced these songs are riveting not only in their vocals, but in their songwriting. Many of these songs delve into every day issues no one else likes to address in our society.
- "Indestructible" This 2008 top ten rock song by Disturbed reached the number one spot on Billboard's Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. The song was written by lead vocalist David Draiman as an "anthem for soldiers." He stated he wanted to write something just for them, to make them feel "Indestructible."
- "Inside the Fire" Another top ten rock song of 2008 by Disturbed, "Inside the Fire" reached number one on the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. Lead vocalist Draiman drew from his own personal experiences of a former girlfriend committing suicide to write this top ten hit.
- "Fake It" A top ten song of 2008 by rock band Seether, this chart topper reached the number one spot on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks and the Mainstream Rock Tracks. "Fake It" was the first single released off their album, "Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces."
- "Devour" Hailed one of 2008's best political songs, Shinedown's "Devour" stayed at number one on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks for four weeks. Lead vocalist Brent Smith wrote this song expressing his distaste for former-President George W. Bush, as well as his dislike for the war in the Middle East.
- "The Day That Never Comes" From their 2008 album, "Death Magnetic," Metallica released this top ten song that tells the tale of an abuse victim's horrific perspective. "Death Magnetic" went onto to be a 2008 top ten selling album and "The Day That Never Comes" hit number one on music charts worldwide, including Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks.
- "Psychosocial" From their 2008 album, "All Hope Is Gone," Slipknot released this top ten rock song just in time to play it on their first tour stop that year at White River Amphitheater in Auburn, Washington. Slipknot is a band that knows how to engage their crowds and literally blow the roof off whatever stadium they're performing in. "Psychosocial" made it to the number two spot on Billboard's Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles and number seven on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks.
- "Rise Above This" The second single released from their album, "Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces," Seether had another top ten rock song with "Rise Above This." This Billboard chart topper made the number one spot on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks and the number two spot for the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. This song was written about lead vocalist Shaun Morgan's late brother, who had recently committed suicide.
- "Long Road To Ruin" From their sixth studio album titled, "Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace," the Foo Fighters flew up the charts with this top ten rock song of 2008. "Long Road to Ruin" reached number one on Billboard's Hot Modern Rock Tracks, number two on Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks and number one again for the UK Rock Charts.
- “Shadow of the Day” Rock band Linkin Park seems to do well with every song they release. The third single off of their third album, "Minutes to Midnight" was no exception. This 2008 rock song rose to top ten statuses in numerous Billboard categories, including Mainstream Rock, Modern Rock, Adult Top 40 and Top 40 Mainstream.
- "Addicted" From their debut, self-titled album, Saving Abel put themselves on the map with their first single, "Addicted." It not only made the top ten rock songs of 2008 on Billboard's Hot Modern Rock Tracks and Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks, but also Pop 100 and Adult Top 40.