These traditional tattoos have all been classic choices for a new tattoo. If you want something that has been loved by many others, these are great choices to consider. Each of these tattoos offer something different and fun—they definitely won't disappoint you.
- Heart A heart tattoo is one of the most traditional tattoos you can get. It can be easily modified for a more personal design. For instance, the inside of the heart can be etched with a name of other complex design (i.e. celtic). The heart itself can be made black and white or a more realistic 3D color version. Tila Tequila has a heart tattoo on the upper part of her left arm with the inscription "C'est La Vie" written over the heart. You can make it your own with different images next to it or by having it designed to your own tastes. One modification can be to design the tattoo with words from a love-themed poem.
- Peace Sign A peace sign is a highly popular design that has been chosen for many years. Whether it is the word for peace or the symbol, this is a truly classic tattoo choice. This can be personalized with words that make you think of peace or a quote by a peace-encouraging leader. For instance, Mahatma Gandhi's quote would work beautifully with the tattoo, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Thus, this tattoo can go in many different directions to make it unique and interesting for yourself.
- Snake This is definitely one of the most popular traditional tattoos, loved for both its symbolism and aesthetically strong look. It is a particularly great tattoo choice as the snake can be designed to flow well with the body. It can be coiled along one spot or wrapped around a large area (i.e. wrapped around the waist). Snakes have different meaning across different cultures. Whether as a symbol of office (Greeks) or as a powerful religions symbol (Aztecs), it has had diverse roles throughout history. These roles can be emphasized or alluded to when designing your tattoo. For instance, if you want to show the snake's power it can be designed to look agressive and/or wise.
- Portraits Portraits are highly common traditional tattoo choices. This can be a truly personalized tattoo choice as you can choose any individual's portrait you desire. Whether you decide upon a historically significant figure or a close relative, this tattoo can be modified drastically to suit your liking. You can even have the individual in the portrait doing an action or depicting a story. For instance, Canadian singer Beatrice Martin has a portrait of young girl holding a gun and sword, alluding to "Alice in Wonderland" with a pirate twist. There are many ways you can go with this to make it your own.
- Tribal Band This is a great traditional tattoo design that has been chosen by many individuals. Most people choose to have a thin tribal design wrap around their arms. However, you can expand upon this by having a larger tribal design along an entire body part. You can also do some research and create your own spin off of this idea. Simply researching Persian, Native American and Celtic art can help you create your own unique tribal design. You can also incoporate other objects or imagery that is personal to you. There is no limit to how creative you can be with this tattoo idea.