Knowing how not to get sick in Mexico is a key element to traveling south of the border. Mexico is a great place to travel on the cheap, but the wrong move can wreak ungodly havoc on your innards. Watching what you eat and drink is the best way to not get sick. The following tips should help the average gringo avoid Montezuma’s Revenge.
- The Water: Don’t drink it. You may think you have an iron stomach, but drinking Mexican tap water will most likely have you crouched over a hole in the ground in tears. If you’re in a small town and the locals don’t even drink the water, that’s a pretty sure sign that you should avoid it.
- Don’t drink the water: Avoiding tap water is not as easy as it sounds, Mexican tap water is sneaky and there are a lot of ways you can get sick. In restaurants, make sure the ice is not from the tap; if you are unsure how to ask, just go without ice (sin helado). Brushing your teeth can be troublesome too. Don’t use tap water.
- Seriously, don’t drink the water: Salads can be treacherous. Vegetable garnishes are often rinsed in tap water. You may think you’re eating healthy, but avoiding the greens can be one of the best ways to not get sick in Mexico.
- Street food: That midnight burrito stand may seem like a good idea, but in order to not get sick in Mexico, it’s probably best to avoid the sketchy street vendors no matter how delicious the mystery meat may be.
- Wash Your Hands: This should be obvious, but one of the surest ways to not get sick in Mexico is to keep your hands clean.
- Scope Before You Eat: This too should fall in the common sense category, but a restaurant with lots of flies on the table or cockroaches on the floor is probably a good place to avoid. Like anywhere, good sanitation is key to not getting sick in Mexico.
- Distintivo H: Distintivo H is given to select restaurants by the Mexico board of tourism. This award ensures a highly trained staff and very sanitary conditions. Sometimes dropping a few extra pesos is the only way to not get sick in Mexico.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.