A a triathlon training schedule will help you prepare for your next race. Triathlons can be scary and daunting. There is a lot that you have to train for, which is why it’s important to have a proper training schedule. Your schedule needs to utilize the time that you have. It should improve your level of ability. Not only that, but it also needs to lessen the risk of injury.
To prepare for a triathlon, you will need:
- Running shoes
- Swim shorts
- Access to a pool
- Stretching Routine – Make sure to have a stretching routine incorporated into your triathlon training schedule. This will be very important if you want to avoid injuries. You should stretch before each session, as well as after each workout is finished. This will help relieve stress in your muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons.
- Swimming Portion – When preparing for the swimming portion of the race, work on relaxation techniques in the water. These will come in handy because the swimming portion is usually done in crowded open water. The chances are high that you will be jostled, splashed and shoved during the race. If you add relaxation techniques to your training schedule, you will be prepared to deal with these issues when they arise.
- Biking Portion – When training for the biking portion of the race, add in hill or power exercises to your schedule. This will improve your speed because it will allow you to develop strength and power. You can spend time riding up hilly terrain, or you can even use some of your ride to do sprint intervals. This is one of the best ways to ensure that you’re properly prepared for the cycling portion of the triathlon.
- Running Portion – Add walking breaks into your triathlon training schedule if you need to. You shouldn’t be afraid to walk because even seasoned runners have walking breaks when they are training for a triathlon. Walking breaks allow your legs to recover and it will help you prevent over-training. It will take time to build up to long runs, so don’t try too much at once. Otherwise, you risk injury.
- Strength and Core Training – The final aspect that you will want to add to your triathlon training schedule is strength and core training. Make sure to spend some time away from the pool, bikes and running trails. You will need to dedicate time each week to training with weights. You will also want to spend time working on your abs. Strength and core training will increase your endurance and power.