Tricep workouts are a great way to build this often ignored muscle in the body. Located in the back of your arm, your triceps are an important muscle for many sports, as well as for general conditioning purposes. Here are some tricep workouts that you can use in your routine.
In order to perform tricep workouts, you will need the following:
- Weights (barbell or dumbell)
- Pulley-based workout machine
- Dip machine
- Close grip bench press. Also good for the chest, the close grip bench press effectively targets the triceps. Slow movements are key to feeling the burn in the triceps.
- Tricep pulldowns. Tricep pulldowns can be performed on a weight machine, or you can use a barbell/dumbell and perform the exercise over your head. Either way, tricep pulldowns are a staple for any tricep workout.
- Diamond pushups. Placing your two hands close together in the shape of a diamond, this type of advanced push up will target your triceps well. Go as low as you can and be sure to move slowly in both directions.
- Dips. If you have access to a dip machine this is a great tricep exercise. Lower yourself from the machine, aiming for a 90 degree angle for your elbows. Slow movements will ensure the effectiveness of this exercise, and make it challenging for any ability level.
- Putting it all together. Choose three of four of these exercise for a stimulating tricep workout. You can mix and match to add variety and form a number of tricep workouts. Aim for three sets with the number of reps that is appropriate for your training goals (low for strength, high for conditioning/stamina).