Turbo Kickboxing Workout
Turbo kickboxing workouts are available at select gyms across the U.S. or through home fitness programs produced by Beachbody LLC. Combining kickboxing moves such as kicks, punches, or knee and elbow strikes, turbo kickboxing workouts include a “turbo” section about two-thirds through the workout. The “turbo” is similar to a high-intensity interval workout lasting roughly 90 seconds in which you push yourself to your maximum, increasing heart rate during the turbo. Following the turbo, the remaining third of the workout is used to bring the heart rate back down, then to cool down and stretch. TurboKick is the official name of this type of turbo kickboxing workout. It was developed by renowned fitness celebrity Chalene Johnson at 24-Hour Fitness. Turbo Jam is a set of five workouts ranging from fifteen minutes to 45 minutes in length.
- Purchase TurboJam or TurboJam Elite from Beachbody. The program is available on DVD with several extras, including two bonus workouts, hand weights, a guidebook, and nutrition guide. Those who order through Beachbody or coaches will receive free personal Coach support as well.
- Wearing comfortable workout clothing and sneakers, ensure there is at least a four-foot square space to perform the workout. TurboJam utilizes punches, kicks, and other kickboxing and martial arts moves as well as a bit of running and jumping jacks during the turbo portions of the workouts. Having clear space protects from accidents and injuries.
- Use the beginner workout first, which is entitled Learn & Burn. Learn & Burn spends fifteen minutes teaching the Elite 11 moves in TurboJam followed by a fifteen minute "practice" workout to help the newcomer get comfortable to home fitness workouts and to TurboJam.
- Learn the Elite 11 moves. These moves are also featured on cards that can be torn out from the guidebook that accompanies the program. They are the Elite 11 moves taught in the Learn portion of the Learn & Burn workout DVD.
- Once the Elite 11 moves are learned, and the Burn workout can be performed with ease, "graduate" to the other workouts in the program. These other workouts range in minutes from twenty to 45 minutes and with significant effort put into a workout, it is possible to burn an average 1000 calories an hour using TurboJam as a home fitness program.
- Follow the workout schedule provided with the program, or create a desired schedule incorporating the workouts in any combination. For best results, workout with TurboJam six days a week and try to incorporate the eating guidelines provided with the program.
- Alternatively, if a member of a gym that features TurboKick classes, these are similar to TurboJam. Both were created by Chalene Johnson and TurboKick instructors are certified through Mrs. Johnson's company, Powder Blue Productions.