Types Of Aerobic Exercise
All types of aerobic exercise use large muscles and elevate your heart rate for a period of time. Most people think of running or an aerobic dance class as aerobic exercise. But there are many types of aerobic exercise that are easily accessible.
- Aerobic Dance. In low-impact aerobic dance one foot is on the ground at all times. Low-impact exercise is intended to decrease leg injuries. High-impact aerobic dance might include jumping or hopping and provides an excellent cardiovascular workout. Step aerobic dance uses a step to up the cardiovascular benefits while keeping the exercise low-impact.
- Cycling. Riding a bicycling is a great lower body workout and an aerobic exercise as well. The intensity of the exercise depends on the terrain, speed and gear you ride in.
- Walking. Aerobic exercise walking is walking at a brisk 4 miles per hour. Use good posture and keep your chin up while walking. You can let your arms swing at your sides or bend then at a 90 degree angle while walking. Walking will exercise your leg muscles including the buttocks, calves, and thighs.
- Stair Climbing. Most people who do stair climbing as exercise use a stair stepping machine. Stair climbing works your leg muscles and elevates your heart rate.
- Swimming. Swimming in a low-impact exercise. You can swim laps using traditional strokes. You can also use a kick board to hold onto while kicking with your feet, walk laps in the water and do other exercise that uses the resistance of the water.