Types Of Food
Learn about different types of food and how much of each you should eat in order to be both physically and mentally healthy. The average adult diet consists of approximately 2,000 calories but can change depending on the amount of exercise he does each day. People who exercise may need to eat more calories and those who are more stationary than average should probably eat less.
- The majority of your calories should come from whole grains and similar types of food. This includes pasta, bread, rice and other grain products. Whole wheat is better for you than bleached white products. Adults need to have around six servings of grains each day. One serving is equal to about one slice of bread or half of a cup of pasta or rice.
- Vegetables are another important food. Generally, vegetables that are dark green or orange are healthier than others. Peas, broccoli and carrots are great examples of healthy vegetables that should be consumed on a daily basis. The average adult needs to eat at least 2.5 cups of vegetables per day. Read the nutrition facts on each specific vegetable to figure out how to measure your veggies.
- Fruits are a great type of food to eat. You do not need as much fruit as you do vegetables or grains, but they are still important. Apples, grapes, bananas and peaches are all excellent fruits to eat in order to stay healthy. Adults need about 1.5 cups of fruit each day.
- Milk and other calcium products are another type of food. Adults should try to have at least three cups of calcium products each day, especially women. Calcium is important for maintaining bone strength and overall health. Some common calcium products include milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- Meats, nuts, fish and beans are an additional type of food. The average adult needs at least five ounces of meat each day. Some types of meat/poultry include eggs, salmon, chicken, steak and turkey. These foods provide your body with protein and iron in order to keep in healthy.
- Fats and oils are the least important of the different types of food. These include sweets such as pastries and butter, cooking oils and other relatively unhealthy food products. You should limit these foods from your diet as much as possible on a daily basis. Although the occasional dessert is not going to kill you, too much can really harm your body.