If you are embarrassed about how slowly you type or if you make a lot of mistakes, you may want to try out some typing games online. Some games are a lot of fun, while some are pure repetition, but both types of typing games online can help improve your performance. The games here all work on fundamentals and help build your typing skills.
- "Home Key Kenneys" (from Learning Games for Kids). Yes, this typing game online was designed for kids, but it's a great way to learn beginning finger placement. The fact that it's designed as a "whack-a-mole" game gives it an element of fun! There's also a version of "Kennys" on the same site for using the number pad.
- "Bubbles" (on typingtest.com). Ready to leave the home row? "Bubbles" is a super simple typing game online in which you type letters to pop bubbles before they reach the surface of the water. It's actually fairly relaxing till the bubbles start getting away from you. A good game to work on single letter typing.
- "Spacebar Invaders" (on freetypinggame.net.) Ready for something a bit more challenging? In this online typing game we return to home row, but get to create actual words! You shoot the "Space Invaders" type aliens, by creating words (or other groups of letters). There are three levels for an even greater challenge.
- "Typing Tidepool" (from Learning Games for Kids). Ready to try some different words now? This time you get to leave home row. This typing game online is quick and fun. You are racing on dolphins and you build speed by typing words correctly. The competitive nature of the game makes it more fun than just typing words.
- "Typing Monster" (From Learning Games For Kids). When it's time to put it all together, you will find that the variety of typing games online diminishes. Many are just "beat your time" games, and while there is nothing wrong with that, it's nice to add an element of fun. "Typing Monster", while not as fun as earlier games, allows you to build a fireball and defeat a monster by typing "spells". The graphics leave something to be desired, but it's a nice game to bring all the elements you've learned together.
Using online typing games can take you from single letter typing to fluent paragraph creation, right from the comfort of your own computer. It's more fun than taking a keyboarding class and it won't cost you a cent. So what are you waiting for? Before the next fumbling online chat session, go get some practice in!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.