United Postal Service Tracking
The post office has come a long way from the pony express, and one of the best services they offer is the United Postal Service tracking feature. Whether you mail out correspondence for business, sell your old junk on eBay, or send grandma your laundry when you run out of quarters, you can keep track of where your package or letter is at all times. There is no more guessing or wondering when something will arrive. You can use the delivery confirmation service to track your U.S. mail.
To use United Postal Service tracking, you will need:
- Package or letter to mail
- Money to pay for tracking/delivery confirmation
- Receipt for tracking/delivery confirmation from United Postal Service clerk
- Prepare your mail. Gather the items you need to mail. Be sure to package the things you need to send carefully so if there is anything breakable, it is packed in such a way that it won't break in transit.
- Go to the post office or online to the United States Postal Service Web site. Take your package or letter to the post office or log on to mail your package or letter. Request tracking be added to the delivery. This service is called delivery confirmation.
- Pay the clerk or buy tracking online. Prices for delivery confirmation, which tracks the package from the postal facility you mail the package from to its destination, varies. For retail service, which means you take the package or letter to the post office, the price is $.70 to $.80. If you use the electronic service online, delivery confirmation is only $.19.
- Get the receipt. You will be given a tracking number on the delivery confirmation receipt whether you pay electronically onilne or in person at a post office facility. Keep this receipt. It has the tracking number on it that you use to track your package or letter.
- Go online to track the package. The bar code that appears on the delivery confirmation label that is affixed to your package or letter is scanned at each postal facility where it is handled. You can go online to the United States Postal Service Web site to check the status and track your mail. Click the Track & Confirm tab. You will be asked to enter the tracking number. The final tracking information will provide you with the date and time of delivery as well as the zip code where it was delivered.