The best vanilla cake recipe from scratch is made with the best vanilla. Having the best vanilla cake recipe will not be enough without very good vanilla. Make sure to use either real vanilla extract or vanilla pods. Vanilla pods are costly, but well worth the money. Never use artificial vanilla extract if you want to have the best vanilla cake to serve to your family.
Vanilla cake recipe from scratch is just a plain white cake flavored with vanilla. The trick is to use the best vanilla available and to beat the egg whites separately. Some cake recipes will call for eggs and the eggs are added whole. This cake is light and fluffy due to the fact that the egg whites are beaten stiff and then added.
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup milk
Directions to make vanilla cake from scratch:
- Separate the eggs and place the whites in a mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, place the sugar, egg yolks, oil and the milk.
- Mix well with a hand mixer if available. Mix the flour and the baking powder together and then sift them twice.
- After the dry ingredients are sifted, start adding them slowly to the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients in thirds.
- Take the egg whites and beat them stiff with the salt. With a spatula, add the egg whites slowly to the cake batter.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch pans. To do this properly use a pastry brush and dip it in oil. Brush the oil all over the pans and especially in the creases of the pan.
- Add a few tablespoons of flour to the pans and with your hands pat the hands to the left and the right. Shake out any excess flour and discard.
- Pour half of the cake mixture in each pan. Tap each pan on the table to remove all the air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until done. Simply take a toothpick and insert in the middle of the cake and when the toothpick is clean, the cake is done.
- The cake will also detach itself from the sides of the cake pans slightly. You can use a Bundt pan or large rectangle pan for sheet cakes.
Homemade Creamy White Frosting
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar or white vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Using a mixer, beat the butter until fluffy. Start adding in the sugar slowly.
- Add in a bit of milk at a time until the right consistency is achieved. Finally, add in the vanilla flavoring.
- You can add in some food color paste if desired. If you use food color paste, dip a toothpick in the paste and dot the paste all over the icing.
- Mix the icing again and check for the right color before adding more. You can add some chopped fruit in the middle of the cake and on top for extra pizzazz, such as strawberries or blueberries.
Note: If you use vanilla pods in your cake, scrape out the seeds inside and place the pod itself in your sugar container. You can use this vanilla sugar for the next time you make vanilla cake or any dessert.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …