If you are looking for a vegetable biryani recipe, you have come to the right place. Biryani recipes are made many ways and the most popular way is made with lamb. Vegetable biryani is a great meal for those who are vegetarians and want to feel satisfied without meat or poultry on their plate. Vegetable biryani is a spicy dish, so if you prefer less spice, simply reduce the spices and herbs when you are preparing this dish.
Vegetable Biryani Recipe
There are as many vegetable biryani recipes. Some recipes call for carrots, potatoes and peas, while other recipes call for cauliflower and sweet potatoes. When making any recipe, learn to alternate the ingredients to suit your taste. Also make your vegetarian biryani with whatever's in season. The fresh vegetables in season are much better than a bag of frozen peas that has been in the freezer for ages.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 carrot, diced small
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped small
- 1/2 cup French green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh is best)
- 3 onions, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 2 green chilies, finely sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp. cashews, almonds and raisins
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Cover the basmati rice in some warm water to soak for 30 minutes. Drain the water off the rice.
- Place the rice in hot water and bring to boil along with a little salt. Cook the rice until it is three-fourths of the way done.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and start to fry the vegetables separately and set aside. Place one tablespoon of oil in a pan and heat the spices: mustard seeds, pepper, caraway seeds, cinnamon, green chilies, garam masala and ginger paste.
- Heat them for 30 seconds. Add in the sliced onions and sauté for one minute.
- Add the chili powder, salt and the chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft. Place the yogurt in the blender and pulse. Add the yogurt to the onion mixture and stir.
- Continue cooking the yogurt mixture for ten to twenty seconds. Add in the vegetables and rice and mix well. When mixing be careful not to break the rice.
- Cook this for around three to four minutes. Place the vegetable biryani on a large serving plate and garnish with the cashews, almonds and raisins.
- Sprinkle the entire dish with some chopped coriander leaves. Vegetable biryani is traditionally served with raita (spiced yogurt).
Raita (Spiced Yogurt) Recipe
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 1 tsp. coriander, ground
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- Salt to taste
- Place the yogurt and the sour cream in a bowl. You can use all yogurt if you prefer and simply increase the amount of yogurt to 1-1/3 cups.
- Add in the spices and mix around. Place a hint of cayenne on top of the yogurt and serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …