Veggie Burger Recipe
A veggie burger recipe that is simple to make can bring healthy meatless meals to your table. Veggie burgers consist mainly of kidney, pinto, black or garbanzo beans (chick peas) and a variety of vegetables. The best thing about veggie burgers is they can be easily customized to your own tastes by adding your favorite vegetables. Give these tantalizing veggie burgers a try tonight.
To make veggie burgers, you will need:
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 (14 oz.) can kidney, black or garbanzo beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 1 small summer squash
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Prepare the ingredients for veggie burgers. Cut the ends off the onion and peel it under running water. Grate the onion using a cheese grater and set aside. Peel the garlic cloves and press or smash under a large knife. Wash and peel the carrots and grate. Wash the squash and zucchini, cut off the ends and shred using a cheese grater. Shred the cheese. Lightly beat the egg. Rinse and drain the beans then mash them using a fork in a small bowl.
- Cook the onions. Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the grated onion and sauté for five minutes until tender. Add carrots, squash and zucchini to the skillet and stir fry for two to three minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Mix the veggie burgers. Add the oats, cheese, soy sauce and egg to the cooked mixture and mix well. Transfer the veggie burger mixture to a bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
- Prepare the grill. Heat the grill on high for five minutes and use a wire brush to scrape the grill clean. Turn the grill off for 30 minutes to cool. When the grill is cool enough to touch, apply a light coat of oil to the grill by pouring a little oil onto a folded paper towel and rubbing the oil on the grill’s surface. Preheat the grill on high for five minutes before cooking the veggie burgers.
- Remove the veggie burger mix from the refrigerator. Spread the flour over a large plate. Pat the veggie burger mixture into three inch round patties. Place the veggie burger patty in the flour to coat it. Turn the veggie burger patty over to coat the other side. Grill the veggie burgers on a hot grill for five minutes. Turn the veggie burger patty over and grill the second side for five minutes. Each side should be browned.
- The vegetables can be run through a chopping machine or food processor instead of manually shredding with a cheese grater.
- If no food processor is available, an electric mixer will work just as well for mixing the ingredients for veggie burgers.
- Do not overcook the vegetables in the skillet. It will make the veggie burger slightly mushy.