Whether you are spending the day with just your immediate family or throwing a party with family and friends, knowing some Veterans Day activities will help make your celebration more meaningful.
- Host a neighborhood or school drive for supplies. See if there are any local veterans in your area you can team up the project with. Host a drive to collect supplies. Decide of you want to do a theme (toiletries, electronics or clothes) or a free for all drive. Collect all the supplies then host a day to put together care packages. Work with the veterans to get the care packages to bases that need them. If that is not an option, send them to http://www.military-missions.org/care-packages/
- Write cards for veterans. There are many veterans in hospitals and nursing homes that don’t get a lot of interaction. Go to the craft store and purchase construction paper, foam stickers and glitter pens. Write letters thanking the soldiers for all their hard work and dedication. Distribute the letters yourself or send them to http://www.amillionthanks.org/
- Host a bake sale. Since it is cold outside around this time, try pre-order using survey monkey and have people pick up their products at a designated location and time. If you want to have a traditional bake sale, be sure to sell coffee and hot chocolate as well as all the baked goodies. Donate any money raised to http://www.welcomebackveterans.org/index. You can also set a box out for donations and a card with a description of what the money will be used for. Some people might be encouraged to donate more out of the goodness of their heart.
- Have a cook-off. Nothing brings people together in spirit than a cook off. Have everyone in the neighborhood cook their most American-inspired dish. Have each person bring their dish for a community potluck at one person’s house and have people rate the food on taste, look and originality.
- Sing carols at a veteran’s nursing home. It is not quite the holiday season, but it’s not too early to start caroling. Go to a nursing home especially for veterans and sing American inspired songs such as “The Star Spangled Banner” and “Proud to be An American.”
- Sell veterans flowers. Sell specially dyed blue, red and white flowers around the neighborhood for a festive fundraiser. You can also fill glass vases with colored marbles and fake flowers for a festive decoration that will last for many years.
- Have a Veterans Day ice-cream party. Offer the traditional vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Try dyeing whipped cream blue and red cherries to keep the dessert in the spirit. Add red and blue sprinkles for even more fun!
- Make red, white and blue popsicles. Buy a popsicle mold, or use small narrow cups. Fill the bottom of the cup with a red liquid like Gatorade. Add some chopped strawberries if you wish. Put the popsicles in the freezer for about ten minutes, until the red liquid becomes slightly solid. Pull the mold back out, and insert popsicle sticks. Return to the freezer and freeze solid. Pull the tray out, and add club soda about 1/4 of the way up. Stick in the freezer and freeze until solid. Pull the tray back out, and add blue Gatorade 1/4 of the way up. Add blueberries if you wish. Place in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
- Play with sparklers. Save some sparklers from the fourth of July. Nothing can make the night more fun than lighting up the sky with these sparkly sticks. Bundle up, go outside, and write messages to each other in the dark of the night.
- Have a Veterans Day movie marathon. Military.com has an under the radar section that give you great ideas to honor those who serve. Check out http://undertheradar.military.com/2010/11/movies-for-veterans-day/ to see what they recommend you watch to learn more about the holiday and those who serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.