Vince Lombardi quotes are one of the biggest sources of sports inspiration in the world today. Few coaches were as eloquent as Lombardi. These Vince Lombardi quotes are just a sampling from his many wise speeches and sayings.
- "Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence." No one had more faith in his team than Lombardi. He led the Green Bay Packers to victory in the first-ever Super Bowl and again at the second.
- "Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate." Lombardi was definitely the latter. Many football experts considered him one of the greatest coaches of all time.
- "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." Try this on your team the next time they suffer a loss. Lombardi's Packers rarely suffered a defeat, however, but he knew how to console them when they did lose.
- "Football is like life – it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority." Nowadays, the NFL doesn't prepare players for a "normal" life like it probably did in Lombardi's day. His legacy and players were untainted by contract woes and public scandals.
- "Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." His belief in this principle is one of the biggest reasons the Packers dominated the NFL the way they did. People believed in Lombardi, too– when he died, thousands of mourners attended two separate funerals.
- "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." While this quote has been reworded so many times its original wording is unclear, these are certainly wise motivational words from a football legend. Tenacity and determination were two of Lombardi's best-known qualities.
- "We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible." Lombardi's father was an Italian immigrant who owned a meat-cutting business. Imagine if Lombardi hadn't believed this mantra– he might've never believed he could become the greatest NFL coach of all time.
- "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Lombardi never surrendered. He led the Green Bay Packers to three consecutive NFL championships.
- "The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." Work with what you're given and imagine the possibilities. Green Bay fans were so impressed with Lombardi's work that they nicknamed him "The Pope."
"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall." Lombardi believed in football as an American institution that the country needed. Football wasn't just a game.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …