Vitamin C benefits the human body in many ways. It is an antioxidant vitamin that is essential for growth and development. Some vitamin C benefits are aiding in fighting against infection, absorbing iron, collagen production and more. Take vitamin C tablets or eat vitamin C rich citrus fruits daily to see an improvement in health.
- Cancer, gallbladder disease and cataracts prevention. The antioxidant properties of vitamin C will reduce chances of getting stomach, colon, lung, prostate and oral cancer. Studies show that long term use of vitamin C will significantly decreases cataracts, and will reduce chances of contracting gallstones and gallbladder disease.
- Faster and productive collagen production. Collagen is a building block of connective tissues and protein binding cells. It is needed for healthy skin, ligaments, corneas, cartilage and countless bodily structures. Bite into a juicy orange rich with vitamin C to help production of collagen and heal wounds faster.
- Infection prevention and immune builder. Low vitamin C levels will increase the risks for infection. Enjoy vitamin C by taking a tablet daily to increase the production of white blood cells and support the immune system. Interestingly, vitamin C is often prescribed to HIV positive people to prevent infections.
- Hormone and neurotransmitter production. Help the body produce adrenal hormones with help from vitamin C. Neurotransmitters, which are chemicals that send transmissions of nerve impulses, depend on vitamin C for conversion. Vitamin C converts substances into neurotransmitters such as serotonin, nor epinephrine and dopamine. Without these neurotransmitters the central nervous system would not function properly, and there would be a risk for psychiatric illness.
- Iron absorption. Even though they are sometimes thought of as enemies, vitamin C and iron help each other in the body. Iron is essential for hemoglobin to effectively carry oxygen throughout the body; the lungs, eyes, brain and everywhere is supplied oxygen by hemoglobin. Remember, men need plenty of iron and vitamin C in their bloodstream for oxygen.