Water Polo Workouts For Beginners
These water polo workouts for beginners are great ways to make a player to be at their best in the water polo sport. Water polo beginners need strength and endurance to overcome the challenge of beating the opponent in combination of their skills and ability to tread the water at the same time.
- Bodyweight water polo workout. Although this is just a simple workout consisting of pull ups, squatting and presses done in increasing repetitions beginning at 5 repetitions and progressing to 10 up to 25 repetitions, this workout is an excellent way to develop muscular endurance.
- Water treading. This is a basic water polo workout that every beginner should learn as the game involves staying at the water surface all the time. Players are not allowed to touch the bottom of the pool thus they need to learn the most basic skill in swimming which is treading on the water. Beginners should practice treading in the water constantly for longer periods and it is fun to do with team mates.
- Shoulder workout. Building strength on the shoulders is important in water polo and beginners can start their workouts by using dumbbells. Do side raises for 10 repetitions in 5 sets. It is important to begin the activity with a shoulder stretch to condition the shoulder muscles before using the dumbbells. Beginners can also perform military presses and barbell shrugs which are perfect shoulder exercises for water polo beginners.
- Swimming freestyle and backstrokes. These basic swimming skills are necessary for beginners to learn as they will need to swim fast in order to get to the ball as it lands on the water. Doing swimming laps regularly is a good way to develop one’s skills in basic swimming freestyle. Learning backstrokes in swimming is also a must since it helps a player maneuver their position on the water surface will keeping an eye on the ball above at all times.
- Leg workout. Water polo beginners should also concentrate in developing strong leg muscles as it helps them keep afloat on the water. Training using moderate weight with increasing repetitions is ideal to develop the leg muscles endurance. Among the ideal leg workouts for beginners are lunges, squatting, and leg press.