Weaknesses For Interviews
The question about weaknesses for interviews is a trick question used by hiring managers to see if you prepared for your interview. When you are considering weaknesses for interviews, try to consider the many different angles you can approach the question from. As you experience more interview situations, you will be prepared to answer this tricky but necessary question.
- Negative into a positive. When you are considering weaknesses for interviews, try to find ones that you can put a positive spin on. For example, you can point out that one of your weaknesses is that you tend to spend too much time during quality review. It shows that you care about the quality of your work and spins the negative into a positive.
- One you are working on. Weaknesses for interviews can sometimes be true weaknesses that you take ownership of. But part of the spin on this kind of weakness is outlining what you have done to correct it. For example, you can point out that your weakness was a lack of certification in a particular technical area. But you can then show the certifications you acquired to rectify that situation.
- Point the finger at you. When you are presenting weaknesses for interviews, take the professional approach and point the finger at yourself and do not try to deflect blame. Taking complete ownership of a weakness shows that you can identify areas that need improvement.
- Off the subject. One effective way to present weaknesses for interviews is to discuss a weakness that has nothing to do with the job you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a truck driving position, then you should mention that a weakness you have is not having a comprehensive understanding of how the warehouse equipment works. It has nothing to do with the job you are applying for, and it will not hurt your chances of getting the job.
- Always present something. You should spend time preparing a presentation on your weaknesses and develop ways to turn them into strengths. No one is perfect, and if you do not present some kind of weakness at your interview, then that will leave a bad impression with the hiring manager.