Safety experts recommend that water ski participants learn how to wear a water ski belt properly. Water skiing is a popular outdoor sport and fitness activity that provides a sense of adventure and freedom. As with any physical activity, there are inherent risks and dangers associated with participation. One of the highest risk factors is drowning. A way to minimize the risk of drowning is by wearing a water ski belt. Water ski belts help the skier protect themselves against potential falls in the event of an error or mishap.
To wear a water ski belt properly you will need:
- Measuring tape
- Water ski belt
- Measure your waist size. In order to wear a water ski belt properly, the user should determine the size of their waist. Taking a simple waist measurement will indicate what size the water ski belt needs to be.
- Match your waist size up with the corresponding water ski belt size. Water ski belts come in a variety of sizes, ranging from small to extra large. Ensuring a proper fit is relatively simple by following corresponding waist size guidelines. For example, an individual with a waist size between 30 and 34 inches should select a medium-sized water ski belt.
- Securely tighten and fasten the belt around the waist. When a water ski belt is worn properly, it should allow enough freedom and flexibility for movement. A water ski belt is worn around the waist and cushions an individual's mid-section. While the belt should allow for movement, it should also be snug enough so that it stays put.
Tips and warnings:
- For comprehensive safety purposes, it is recommended that a personal flotation device be worn in addition to a ski belt.
- It is important to note that a water ski belt is not an U.S. Coast Guard approved safety device. A water ski belt can help protect skiers in the event of a hard fall, but in order to prevent drowning, a life vest is recommended. That said, there are states that require that water skiers wear a water ski belt whenever they go out on the water.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.