Webby Awards 2008 Highlights
The 12th annual Webby Awards 2008 highlights, presented in New York City by members of the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences, is a lighthearted event where websites are awarded honors for being the best in their category. In 2008, there were 70 Webby Award categories, which means 140 winners, since each category has a People's Voice winner and another winner, selected by members of The Academy. The five-word acceptance speeches are often humorous; here are the ten best acceptance speeches for the 2008 Webby Awards.
- Speaking of Faith won a webby in the Religion & Spirituality category. Its acceptance speech was "Not bad for an atheist."
- Ikea Mattress' acceptance speech said simply "We enjoy sleeping with you." Ikea was presented an award for the Retail category.
- NY Times Mobile won in the best News website category and asked "Please help us monetize this."
- Flock was awarded the Social / Networking Webby, proclaiming "No shit, we beat Facebook?"
- Passive-Aggressive Notes won a Webby in the "Weird" category. Its speech lived up to expectations, stating "Honestly, I'd prefer a dishwasher."
- Nick was honored in the Youth category, announcing that "Spongebob is our sugar daddy."
- Try Drugs was given a special honor, the Rich Media Single Award in the Non-profit/ Educational category, and asked fans to "Try drugs online, not offline."
- Kongregate declared that it was "Proud to undermine your productivity" after winning an award in the Games category.
- Invisible Children wanted to make it clear that "Angelina Jolie can't do everything," after winning the Activism award.
- Digg won in the Best Practices category, and said "Dugg the free drinks."