What To Bring To The Beach
A day in the surf is many people’s idea of a great getaway, but when considering what to bring to the beach there are a few essentials that will make the trip a success. One should prepare for the heat and the sun and to keep family members entertained.
- Sunscreen. One would have to be living under a rock—or seashell—to not know the importance of sunscreen and to recognize this is perhaps the most important thing to bring to the beach. A very limited time exposed to the sun can cause damage to the skin…perhaps long-term and cancerous damage, in fact. When thinking of what sunscreen to bring to the beach, consider the SPF levels and the relative fairness of the members of your group.
- Snacks. People like to relax on the beach with some of their favorite munchies close by. Don’t forget to load up on chips, sandwiches, cookies, candy, etc. Just be careful to protect your food from lurking airborne predators.
- Beverages. To wash down your snacks, take plenty of beverages. On a hot day in the sun, you’ll do plenty of sweating and you’ll want to replenish your liquids. When considering what to bring to the beach pack water and soda. You may also want to bring beer, but make sure to check local rules on this.
- Games. Frisbee and hacky-sack are classic beach games, but you can also bring board games (ones that don’t have pieces that get blown away), cards, a football, whiffle ball and bat, and more. When thinking about games to bring to the beach, focus on things that are practical and fun.
- Umbrella/tent. Even those looking to get a great tan don’t necessarily want to be in direct sunlight all day. One good thing to bring to the beach is an umbrella or a tent to give you some shade whenever your skin and eyes need some rest.