What To Bring To Camp
Need to know what to bring to camp? Millions of eager parents, students and directors set out for camp each year and they need to know what to pack. Forgetting is not acceptable, no kid wants to be the one to have parents show up after everyone else’s parents have gone home. A great way to start is to label all items before they are packed. This makes keeping up with belongings a breeze for everyone at camp. If you have the patience sew labels into the items; there is less chance for things getting lost.
- Get bug cream or anti itch cream for camping, mosquito bites are very uncomfortable. Some sunscreens have bug repellent in them carry that too, sunscreen protects sensitive skin from damage during baseball games, waterproof sunscreen is best for camping
- Flashlight and batteries are wonderful for reading when lights are out and for important stuff too; Cameras/ inexpensive Throw away cameras are cheap and they take fairly good pictures. They are worry free and if they get lost there is no serious damage done.
- Blanket and sleeping bag. Camping facilities are pretty lean and a blanket and or sleeping bag will be needed. Bring a pillow and a couple of twin sheets. One blanket is standard but two blankets for safety sake. Better to take a blanket off than to sleep cold all night.
- Rain jacket ,sweater, waterproof clothing. There are going to be some rainy days during camp, and some cool nights a light jacket or sweater is going to be needed. Since a great deal of time in camp is spent walking from place to place staying warm and dry is important.
- T Shirt and shorts. Cool clothing is a must in the summer but skimpy clothing is frowned upon, the same dress code that works for school wear pretty much works for camping. Jeans and Kakis work for trekking through the woods or horse back riding.
- Underwear. Don’t forget the basics, underwear, PJ’s for sleeping. In this group of items include a bath towel and wash cloth and toiletries; tooth paste, hair comb, shampoo, that sort of thing.
- Shoes. Bring hiking boots ,water shoes, and short heeled shoes for riding and slippers. No bare feet while camping, if your shoes serve a dual purpose that would be great.
- Two swim suits. Camping requires lots of swimming so bring two suits. One can dry while using the other, no reason to deal with swimming suits that are uncomfortable.
- Unbreakable cup. At camp extra items to eat in your pack is always great for late night snacks, soup or liquid items will require utensils. Always have a spoon and dish, a friend may have something really good to share so always be prepared to help enjoy.
- Riding helmet, Riding breeches, riding crop. Prepare for horse back riding by having the proper tools. Horse back riding is a great sport so do it safely.
If the weather is cold bring a coat and a pair of warm gloves. If the camp is an overnight camp bring immunization records. Most camps ask that no items be brought to the camp that will cause discord or bring harm to anyone. All trunks or luggage is inspected. Clothing deemed appropriate is the dress code.
- No offensive slogan worn on clothing is allowed at a camp. Camping is a fun way to spend a summer and knowing what to bring to camp can add to having a great time.
- Don’t make the mistake of forgetting your tooth paste and bath towel this can be a real problem on your trip.
- Nights on the camping trail get cool sometimes and not being warm enough if the blanket is forgotten is no fun at all.