What To Bring To College
Looking for information on what to bring to college? Going to college is an exciting experience for any high school student and there is often little time between high school graduation and the day you move into your dorm room. Your school should provide you with a packing list, but to make sure you don't forget to bring anything to college, take a look at the packing list below.
- Personal Items. Remember, you will be at school during the fall, winter and spring, so be sure to bring clothing suitable for all seasons. You will also need to bring toiletries with you, such as shampoo, soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste. Even though most colleges have a health clinic on campus, you may want to bring a first-aid kit with you to college so you always have a bandage handy. If you take any prescription medication, you may want to include that in your first-aid kit, so you don't forget it.
- Room Items. Most colleges only supply you with a bed and desk. While it varies by school, most dorm rooms do not provide fans or air conditioning, so you will want to bring at least one fan with you. You will also need an alarm clock, a lamp for your desk, a garbage can and laundry detergent. The electricity in many college dorm rooms is old, so a surge protector is a must to protect your laptop and television.
- Bedding. Your college will provide you with a bed frame and mattress. You are responsible for bringing your own bedding to college. Before you purchase bedding to bring to college, check with your school to find out the size of your bed. Many colleges provide extra large twin beds, so you will need to purchase twin XL bedding. You will need sheets, a comforter or blanket and pillows. You may also want to purchase a mattress pad or mattress topper, as dorm room beds aren't known for comfort.
- Entertainment. You are going to be spending a lot of time in your dorm room, so you definitely want to bring a TV and DVD player. Your college should provide you with basic cable, so you don't have to worry about that expense. If you love music, bringing a MP3 player you can listen to while walking to class is a great idea.
- School Supplies. You can purchase school supplies at the bookstore on your campus, but they are going to charge you an arm and a leg. Make sure you purchase all of your required textbooks ahead of time. You will, of course, need a backpack to carry your books. Desk supplies you should purchase include pens, pencils, notebooks, computer paper, college ruled paper, a ruler, scissors and a stapler.
- Don't wait until the last minute to start packing for college. You will probably need to purchase many of the items you need to bring, so start shopping at least a month before your move-in date.