What to Buy for Your Dorm
Have you ever wondered what to buy for your dorm? Dorms can be small simple rooms to more spacious apartments with multiple rooms. It all depends on the college you attend. But you can make the most of any dorm room, by purchasing things to help you survive dorm living, while making the room your own
- Check in advance to see what restrictions exist regarding nails and other hardware in walls. You don't want to spend money on posters and pictures you cant hang up.
- Also check to see what window treatments are included. Window treatments may need to be upgraded or added on for sun and weather protection, or personal taste.
- Furniture. Additional seating such as bean bag chairs or folding sport chairs won take up a lot of space and will provide moveable seating.
- If you want to know what to buy for your dorm walls consider their use. Picture frames and posters will add personality. A cork/dry erase board will allow you to leave notes from roommates. A retractable laundry line will help clothing dry without using a dryer.
- Purchase or bring an existing comforter and bed linens. Choose colors that will not show dirt fast.
- Storage is another consideration when thinking about what to buy for your dorm. Some dorms are very small with limited space. Make the most of any space using plastic crates which are cheap, can be stacked, come in multiple colors and use minimal floor space.
- A shoe rack either under the bed or the closet floor will organize shoes and save space. Purchase boxes or containers for under bed storage.
- Purchasing a microwave and/or hot plate. This will you to eat whenever you are hungry. You will also need to purchase plates, utensils, cookware and napkins, and dish soap. Remember the cafeteria will not always be open.
- Bathroom essentials are another consideration when wondering what to buy for your dorm. Sets of towels, personal care items and a pail to tote items to and from the bathroom in are all necessities.
- Laundry. Clothes baskets, laundry soap, dryer sheets and a dirty clothes hamper will go along way towards keeping you clean.