Trying to find out what to do instead of watching television? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, American men and women spend half of their leisure time watching television. Getting out of the house is one of the best ways to avoid the temptation of picking up the remote and flipping through the channels. If you don't want to venture out the door, find something at home to distract you from watching television.
- Go for a walk. Get off that couch and get the blood flowing. Walking gives you the chance to go outside and mix things up. Daytime or nighttime, fresh air will do you good. Don't worry about having a specific destination in mind. Just walk, or for the overachievers, just jog.
- Joining a pick-up game is a similar idea. Getting out of the house, meeting with friends and playing any type of sport gets you moving. Many local parks have basketball courts or soccer fields that are the perfect place to play. If you can't get some friends together, think about going to the gym to work out instead of watching television.
- If sports don't sound appealing, get some friends together for a movie, concert or sporting event. Instead of watching through the lens of your television, see all the action up close. Purchase tickets online or fly by the seat of your pants and show up at the ticket booth right before things start.
- Hang out with friends at home if you aren't interested in going out. Don't just invite everyone over to watch the game on television. Think about setting up a poker game or cooking out on the grill. It doesn't have to be a big deal, just make some calls and get everyone together.
- Reading a book, magazine or newspaper is another activity that keeps you home, but keeps the television off. If you don't have any of those things at home, you can read the paper, magazines and books online. Catch up with what is going on in the world without resorting to the evening news.
- If you want to find something else to do instead of watching television, start with dropping that remote and think about activities that you enjoy. Choose one and do something different with your leisure time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …