You may be wondering, "What does green poop mean?" Some meanings of green poop are serious and can lead to complications and some of them are not. Below are several reasons and potential answers as to what green poop means.
- Bile has passed through too quickly. Bile is a thick greenish liquid that's secreted by the gallbladder to digest all the nutrients in your food and is broken down usually before you poop. If your poop comes out green, this green poop means that your stools were passed to rapidly through your intestines before the bile could be fully broken down.
- Leafy green diet. If you tend to eat a lot of healthy vegetables, especially leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, collard greens, celery, etc. This can cause green poop. This isn't harmful at all, but is a side effect to eating healthy.
- Excessive amounts of iron. Having to much iron in your diet can cause poop to appear dark green in adults. It has often appeared in people put on extra iron supplements.
- Various intestinal disorders. Green poop has been associated with many intestinal disorders in which the intestine is not working in the manner that it should, resulting in irregular bowel movement and green colored stools. Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome are common one that can cause green poop.
- Food poisoning. Food poisoning such as salmonella, can definitely cause green poop. Contaminated food can make one sick and cause this.
- Medications. People taking medications, mainly medications for bacterial infections such as antibiotics tend to experience green poop.
There are many other potential causes for having green poop, but these are some of the most common ones.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.