What Is A Healthy Relationship?
What is a healthy relationship? Being in a healthy relationship means different things for different people. Some couples love to be with each other 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Other couples may define a healthy relationship as one where both individuals have their own friends and social life, but they still find the time to spend with each other. Whatever the definition, healthy relationships cater to the people involved in them. They energize you. They give you strength during times of personal weakness. A healthy relationship is a union with someone who understands you and accepts and loves you for the person you are. All healthy relationships need the following elements to exist.
- Communicate. A relationship might as well be dead and buried if you don't have solid communication. Communication is the mortar to the union that is you and her. Proper dialogue can stop many issues before they even start. You guys need to be open. There can be no secrets. You have to be able to talk about anything, no matter how painful or difficult the topic. For example, if you guys are dealing with an issue and you talk about it, you can hear her point of view, and she can hear yours. In this case you can probably terminate the problem before it festers and spreads to other parts of your relationship. If you don't talk about it, and distance yourself from your woman, expect lots of fighting and arguments over something that could've been handled a lot easier just by talking about it. Without communication, your once-healthy relationship will truly cease to exist.
- Understand each other. There's no such thing as a perfect match. Everyone has differences. In a healthy relationship, you two can accept each other's differences. You can learn to love the things about her that you don't quite agree with. She can learn to do the same. The similarities bring you together, but it's the admiration and reverence for each other's differences that can keep your union strong.
- Spend quality time with each other. Not going to the movies. Not even going to dinner and dancing. Spending quality time isn't about the places you go, or the money you spend. It's not even about the amount of time you have. In a healthy relationship, spending quality time means spending that time to learn more about your mate. It means trying to connect with her on more and more levels. It means trying to deepen that connection. Part of the mystery of being in a relationship is trying to find out as much as possible about the person you're with. Here's a hint: in a healthy relationship, you'll never stop finding out ways to relate to your love.
- Keep it new. Relationships go through cycles. Every relationship reaches a point where the two involved just become comfortable with each other. Comfort is fine. Taking the other person for granted is not OK. It's up to you and your love to keep the relationship new. Don't allow that romance to fade. Constantly work at finding ways to show her you love her. If you want your relationship to be healthy, you have to work it out.
- Her needs are more important than your own. And vice versa. This is pretty self explanatory. Eliminate all selfishness out of your relationship. If she's willing to do the same, your union will flourish. Putting her needs and fears and passions ahead of your own will guarantee that you guys are in a relationship that's proactively working towards common goals for the both of you. It's important that she does the exact same for you as well or this won't work. You guys can be each other's support. You can be the added strength that she may need and she can be yours. You help her with her dreams and she assists you with yours. The love you guys will experience with each other will be unmatched.