Curious about what to order at a Mexican restaurant and 10 dishes you are sure to enjoy? Knowing what to order at a Mexican restaurant can be daunting if you don't speak the language, but there are a few dishes available at Mexican restaurants that are usually good no matter where you get them. When in doubt, stick with the Mexican restaurant classics outlined below.
- Nachos. We'll start with appetizers. This delicious dish is made with tortilla chips and can usually be ordered topped with vegetarian items (beans and cheese) or with steak, chicken or shrimp. Whatever you choose to order on your nachos, they should come out topped with salsa, lettuce and a bit of sour cream.
- Flautas. Available at most Mexican restaurants, flautas are corn tortillas formed into small rolls. Flautas are similar to eggrolls in shape and texture. They're usually filled with chicken or beef and a bit of cheese.
- Guacamole and chips. Guacamole is mashed avocado mixed with onion, tomatoes and lime juice. It is a Mexican restaurant staple and can be prepared chunky or smooth.
- Tacos. On to main dishes! Tacos are made of corn meal and can be ordered either crispy or soft. They are prepared with a filling of your choice. Top a taco with lettuce, tomato and some salsa and you're looking at a great meal.
- Quesadillas. A quesadilla is basically a flour tortilla grilled with your choice of filling. Quesadillas contain some sort of cheese and usually a meat option, although avocado is a popular filling as well.
- Burritos. If you like a big entree, go for a burrito, which is a flour tortilla wrapped around the filling of your choice. The addition of rice and beans makes a burrito a filling meal for any Mexican restaurant patron.
- Tamales. For presentation, there's nothing prettier than a dish full of tamales. Tamales come to you still wrapped in the corn husk in which they're steamed. A good tamale should have an olive in the filling somewhere (for good luck). Order a tamale with chicken, beef or pork filling.
- Taco salad. Served in a fried flour shell, a taco salad can be a lighter entree if you order it without meat. A typical taco salad contains lettuce, cheese, ground beef and tortilla strips.
- Flan. Finally, it's time for dessert! This classic dish is similar to the French creme brulee and is topped with caramelized sugar.
- Fried ice cream. This staple Mexican dessert can be topped with honey, rolled in nuts or sprinkled with cinnamon. It's usually served on a large, fried flour tortilla. However it's served, it's delicious.
Whatever you order at a Mexican restaurant, you're sure to have a delicious dining experience, especially if you get a few margaritas to go along with your meal.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.