By keeping a few basic guidelines in mind, you can learn what to wear to a Mardi Gras party. Mardi Gras is traditionally held in New Orleans on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday and is typically celebrated as a day of excess. No matter if you are partying in Mardi Gras or having your own party thousands of miles away, it is important to keep the Mardi Gras spirit alive by dressing appropriately!
- Purple, green or gold clothing
- Beaded necklaces
- Court jester, pirate or French royalty costume
- Pick the right colors. One of the best ways to dress for a Mardi Gras party is by choosing clothing that features green, gold or purple. Traditionally during Mardi Gras, purple symbolizes justice, green symbolizes faith and gold symbolized power. Even if you are not going all out, you can still be in the spirit of Mardi Gras by using these colors in your clothing selection.
- Have the right accessories. Masks are a common part of Mardi Gras and for good reason. For years, participants in the Mardi Gras parade were required by city law to wear a mask. In addition, beads or other small trinkets were often thrown by the parade participants and those who received them were thought to get good luck. Participate in these traditional events by wearing a mask or beads and you'll fit right in!
- Finally, if you want to go all out, wear a costume. Traditional costumes for Mardi Gras parties include the court jester, the pirate, the French courtier or French royalty. You should be able to easily find any of these costumes in your local costume shop.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)