What To Wear Skiing
If you’re headed to the slopes, you’ll need to know what to wear skiing. Skiing can be so much fun, but there is a lot of prep work that goes into making sure you have all the gear you need to safely hit the slopes in style. To make sure that you show up to the mountain ready to go, here is a list of the things you’ll need to be comfortable and warm while skiing.
What you’ll need:
- Ski Pants
- Ski Jacket
- Ski Pants. Ski pants have really come a long way in terms of style from the early 90’s to now, but they are still a necessary item you’ll need to wear for skiing. Look for a style of ski pants that will keep you warm and dry. The other important factor is to make sure they are either wide enough to fit over your ski boots or slim enough to slip inside.
- Ski Jacket. Probably the most important thing you’ll need to wear skiing is your ski jacket. Some of the best choices are jackets that are either brightly colored or have reflective strips on the front, back and sides. If you are skiing at night or in the woods, this is especially important. You’ll also need to make sure your jacket is warm enough and also is waterproof; if you don’t have a waterproof jacket, you’ll be pretty miserable if you happen to fall.
- Underclothes. You’ll want to adjust what you wear skiing based on whether you’re skiing out west or out east. Typically, however, it’ll be pretty cold and you’ll want to make sure you’re layered appropriately. Choosing long underwear as your base is always a good choice; from there, it is smart to layer a pair of sweat pants and a sweat shirt on top of that before putting on your pants and jacket. This way you’re nice and bundled, but also layered; if you happen to get too warm, you can always make your way back into the lodge and lose the sweat clothes.
- Helmet. This has not always been something people that was important to wear skiing, but its importance has never been as evident as in the last few years. Skiing is an incredibly dangerous sport and must be respected. The speeds that you can crash at can be astronomical, and many people have been seriously injured or even killed from these types of crashes. One of the best ways you can prevent this is to add a helmet to what you wear skiing. This will protect your head and ensure you can enjoy the beautiful slopes all day long!
- Accessories. In addition to the aforementioned things, there are a few more things you can use to wear skiing. Choose slim but waterproof and warm gloves (gloves are easier than mittens for holding ski poles), a hat or ear warmer, a scarf if it’s very cold and goggles to help you see (especially if it’s snowing, goggles will protect your eyes.)
Skiing can be a lot of fun and a great source of exercise. If you know what to expect and what to wear skiing, it can be even more fun, comfortable and safe. Happy trails!