Wondering what to wear to a tea party? Tea parties are generally summer affairs held in the afternoon. They can be held outside or inside. The atmosphere is casual, but at the same time, a tea party has an air of decorum. Tea parties harken to an earlier time when people celebrated in fashion.
When you want to know what to wear to a tea party, you will need:
- Suit jacket or blazer
- Lightweight slacks
- Cotton button-down shirt
- Tie, necktie or bow tie
- Dress shoes
- Hat, optional
- Consider the occasion. If the invitation for the tea party stipulates what type of dress, follow the lead and wear what is described on the invitation. A summer tea party held outdoors may be more casual than an indoor tea party held at a fancy hotel. If in doubt, call the host or hostess and ask what dress is appropriate.
- Choose a summer-weight jacket and lightweight slacks. Light colored clothes are good for summer because they keep you feeling cooler than darker clothes. A linen or cotton suit or lightweight separates are good.
- Wear a light colored shirt. Choose a white or pastel shirt for the tea party. A cotton button-down shirt is appropriate because it looks more formal than a knit or polo shirt.
- Select a tie. A tea party is a wonderful opportunity to wear a bow tie. Bow ties can be whimsical. A necktie in a summer pattern or color is also fine.
- Carry a handkerchief. Be sure to tuck a white handkerchief in your pocket. You never know when a gentleman will need to offer a lady his handkerchief.
- Wear dress shoes. Complete the tea party outfit and wear nice, scuff-free dress shoes.
- Top it off with a hat. Consider wearing a straw hat or other nice men's hat to the tea party.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.