What To Wear To A Tea Party
Wondering what to wear to a tea party? Tea parties are generally summer affairs held in the afternoon. They can be held outside or inside. The atmosphere is casual, but at the same time, a tea party has an air of decorum. Tea parties harken to an earlier time when people celebrated in fashion.
When you want to know what to wear to a tea party, you will need:
- Suit jacket or blazer
- Lightweight slacks
- Cotton button-down shirt
- Tie, necktie or bow tie
- Dress shoes
- Hat, optional
- Consider the occasion. If the invitation for the tea party stipulates what type of dress, follow the lead and wear what is described on the invitation. A summer tea party held outdoors may be more casual than an indoor tea party held at a fancy hotel. If in doubt, call the host or hostess and ask what dress is appropriate.
- Choose a summer-weight jacket and lightweight slacks. Light colored clothes are good for summer because they keep you feeling cooler than darker clothes. A linen or cotton suit or lightweight separates are good.
- Wear a light colored shirt. Choose a white or pastel shirt for the tea party. A cotton button-down shirt is appropriate because it looks more formal than a knit or polo shirt.
- Select a tie. A tea party is a wonderful opportunity to wear a bow tie. Bow ties can be whimsical. A necktie in a summer pattern or color is also fine.
- Carry a handkerchief. Be sure to tuck a white handkerchief in your pocket. You never know when a gentleman will need to offer a lady his handkerchief.
- Wear dress shoes. Complete the tea party outfit and wear nice, scuff-free dress shoes.
- Top it off with a hat. Consider wearing a straw hat or other nice men's hat to the tea party.