What To Wear For a Triathlon
Don't stress out about what to wear for a triathlon, follow these tips instead.
- Shoes. You need to have shoes that you can switch very quickly. For biking shoes, your best bet are shoes that have a strap at the back and two straps of Velcro. This is the best way to do it. For running, any number of shoes will work, lighter is better. Many people buy widgets that, instead of tying a bow, you just tighten it up. Speed in your transitions is the name of the game.
- Swimsuit. Many people just buy a full singlet that works as both a wetsuit and a biking suit. Some men opt with a wicking top and Speedos, or biking shorts. While women often just wear a sports bra and biking shorts.
- Goggles and swimming cap. These are up to you, make sure they do not leak and you spit in them before so they don't fog. Wear the goggles underneath your cap so if they get kicked off (they will), you won't be swimming blind.
- Sunglasses. Protect your eyes. When you are biking, you want to make sure that no rocks get kicked up into your eye. In addition, you are going to be outside for a very long time, and you want to eliminate eye strain.
- Sunscreen. Triathlons are primarily outside. The sun itself can tire you out, and you want to protect your skin so you will be racing long into your golden years. Slather yourself with a water and sweat-proof sunscreen before you start your race.
Posted on: Mar. 29, 2010