What To Wear For Your Body Shape
Unsure of what to wear for your body shape? A few, tiny fashion choices can go a long way for most men. Any man’s body type can look sexy and masculine as long as he sticks to certain guidelines based on his particular body shape:
- If your body shape is tall, break it up. You don’t want to look too long and lanky, so mix different shades, so you’re not just one long color from top to bottom. Tall body shapes can pull off patterns or mixed colors since they have the extra height. Also, never wear skinny jeans to avoid looking like a beanpole. Instead, go for straight-leg cuts. Finally, never wear pants or sleeves that are hemmed too high; you’ll look like you just finished a growth spurt and couldn’t afford to buy new clothes.
- If your body shape is short, stretch it out. Vertical stripes are good for short body shapes, especially the narrow pin stripes on a suit, since they elongate your frame. Make sure your clothes always fit correctly if you have a shorter body frame; you never want your pant legs to drag under your shoes, so hem them if need be. And, always avoid wearing jacket sleeves that hang down past your wrists, or you will look like a little boy dressing up in his father’s clothes. Wear pointed or rectangular, rather than rounded, shoes to help elongate your lower half, and try V-neck shirts to lengthen your upper body.
- If your body shape is heavy, slim yourself down. Clothes can help a heavier body shape slim down. To achieve a thinner look through clothes alone, avoid wearing horizontal stripes at all costs. It’s a rule for both heavy women and men alike; it will only thicken your frame. Instead, try dark colors and solid patterns to make you appear more svelte. Never wear a shirt tight across your belly either; wear your shirts loose enough to mask any extra belly bulge.
- If your body shape is skinny, bulk up it up. This is one of the few body types that can pull off horizontal stripes. Try horizontally patterned shirts to give your chest a broader appearance. You can also pull off wearing light colors like white and beige, since these colors give your body shape a little needed bulk. Also, do not wear super tight jeans; it will look like you raided your girlfriend’s closet. Go for boot-cut jeans to make your legs look a bit more substantial. Never dress in overly baggy clothes, however, because you’ll look like a walking tent if you have a skinny body shape. Find just the right fit to give you a lean, sexier appearance.
If your body shape is muscular, balance it all out. This body shape can be difficult to shop for since you need larger clothing, but aren’t “heavy.” Never wear padded clothing; you don’t need to fake it. Plus, that can often give you a top-heavy appearance since muscular men usually carry more bulk above the waist. Balanced proportions are the key to looking good if you have this body type. Shirts that stretch a little over you can be sexy and show off your physique, but don’t cross the line into overly tight clothing, or you’ll look desperate. If you have a super muscular body shape, tailored jeans might be needed to get the perfect fit around your legs.
- Tips for all body types. Every man is built slightly different. Play up the unique strengths of your particular body shape. For example, if you have great arms but are insecure about your legs, wear a well-fitted T-shirt with looser, dark denim jeans. It’s all about accentuating your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses.
Posted on: Aug. 09, 2010