What Is A Widget
If you've ever wanted to make a Web site, you may have wondered 'What is a widget?' Web sites have come a long way, allowing just about everyone to pay for web hosting and a domain name and that say day have a monetized Web site up and running the same day. Widgets are one of the wonders that make creating your own Web site or blog easier and easier all the time.You can use widgets to make your blog or Web site look just like you want it.
A widget is a tool. When you think of widgets this way, the mystery in using them will be gone. Widget are small computer programs that allow you to do any number of tasks easily since all of the programming or HTML is already done in the background. Using a widget is similar to filling in a form, but when you're done, you will have a portion of a Web site or blog that would have taken a lot of special knowledge to create on your own. Widgets generally live in the sidebar of your Web page or blog, not in the main body.
Types of widgets include the following:
- Text: LIke the name says, use the text widget to add text along the sidebar. For instance, to add a list of the ballgames you've played with the score, use a text widget then edit it when you want to add a new game and score. Use a text widget to add HTML from an affiliate ad you want to use to monetize your site. Text widgets can also be placed in the sidebar but left empty so nothing shows up in that space. This is a way to work around any default widgets that may be in your way.
- Category: A category widget allows you to add categories to your Web site. You type in the name of each category to add to the blog or site sidebar.
- Calendar: It's easy to add a calendar by choosing the calendar widget. This automatically updates and lets your viewers to see the date.
- Tag Cloud: To add a cloud of all of your tags or keywords, use the tag cloud widget.
- Archives: An archive widget automatically records your blog entries on the sidebar of your Web site or blog. This can help readers see, at a glance, what your site is all about.
- Search: Add a search widget to your site or blog so visitors can easily find what they are looking for. This can help them locate a topic that they read in the past but can't remember where on your blog they read it.
By playing with widgets to see what you want them to do, you will learn more about how to use them and what a widget can do to make your Web site or blog its very best.