So you’ve gotten the perfect gift for the bride and groom, now you need to know what to write in a wedding card to go with the gift. You want the sentiment you write in a wedding card to be sincere, but memorable. When saying congratulations doesn’t seem like enough, try some of these options.
- Humor. Consider the personalities of the couple and how well you know them when writing something funny in a wedding card. Private jokes, teasing them or saying something funny about marriage or weddings can be a breath of fresh air. Keep it tasteful and don’t let any cats out of the bag since they will both be reading the wedding card. As Rita Rudner said, “I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.”
- Advice. Especially if you have been married for many years or know one of them very well, then go ahead and give some heartfelt advice in the wedding card. You could remind them to appreciate each other, take time together or keep the flame burning. Keep the advice lighthearted. One option is, “Always remember what brought you here together today.”
- Wishes. Sending your best wishes to the bride and groom is always appropriate. Here are some things to wish them in a wedding card: happiness, good luck, enduring love, an extraordinary life together, prosperity, or fun and laughs. Try something like, “We wish you a life above and beyond the ordinary.”
- Quote. Write your favorite quote about love or marriage and your signature in the wedding card. If you know their favorite song you can quote a line from the song. This is a good option if you don’t know the couple well. Here is a sweet sentiment, “Let all thy joys be as the month of May, and all thy days be as a marriage day.” (Francis Quarles).
- Memories. A personal way to sign the wedding card is to share a personal memory of them as a couple or one of them as a child. This is one of the most personal ways to let them know how much they mean to you. One example is, “I remember when you were five years old and tried on my old wedding dress and heels, dreaming of your own wedding. I am thrilled your dream has come true.”