Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
Make a healthier pizza with this whole wheat pizza dough recipe. Whole wheat flour used to make pizza dough gives the pizza crust a richer, nutty flavor. Top whole wheat pizza crust with sauce, cheese and a variety of special toppings and enjoy the best pizza loaded with protein, minerals, vitamins and health preserving antioxidants. Make a healthier choice with whole wheat pizza dough.
To make whole wheat pizza dough, you will need:
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Activate the yeast. Combine the warm water (110 degrees) and sugar in a bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle the dry yeast over the warm water and mix thoroughly. Let the yeast stand for five to eight minutes until it is slightly foamy or bubbly.
- Mix the whole wheat pizza dough. Combine the flour and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add the yeast mixture, olive oil and mix until a soft dough ball is formed.
- Knead the whole wheat pizza dough. Dust a clean flat counter top with flour. Place the whole wheat pizza dough on the floured surface and knead. To knead dough, push on the lower half of the dough ball with the palm of your hand moving away from you. Fold the top of the dough ball over toward you and push again. Turn the dough ball and repeat the kneading process. Knead for ten to fifteen minutes until the dough is elastic. Shape the whole wheat pizza dough into a ball.
- Oil a large bowl. Apply a coat of oil to the bottom and sides of a large bowl. Place the ball of whole wheat pizza dough in the bowl and slowly rotate the dough until both sides are covered with oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and set in a warm place. Let the whole wheat pizza dough rise for 45 to 60 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Make pizza crust. Punch down the whole wheat pizza dough. Split the dough into equal halves. Shape each half of whole wheat pizza dough into twelve-inch circles using a rolling pin or your hands. Stretch the dough as you shape it to make it thin. Place the whole wheat pizza dough on a well-oiled pizza pan. Let the dough stand for 30 minutes before constructing the pizza.
- Make a whole wheat pizza. Spread pizza sauce on the whole wheat pizza dough. Cover the sauce with grated cheese and your favorite toppings. Let the pizza stand for fifteen minutes before baking. Bake in a preheated oven at 475 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes until the whole wheat crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Cut and serve. Makes two pizzas.
- Whole wheat pizza dough can easily be made into thin crust, thick crust or deep dish pizza.
- Dry yeast has an expiration date on the package. Check the date before using. Expired dry yeast will not give the desired results.