Winter Melon Soup Recipe
Winter melons are used in many different meals, and this winter melon soup recipe is a great tasting and easily prepared in the kitchen. The winter melon is used soups and stews because of its ability to absorb the flavoring of the foods it is cooked with. This winter melon soup recipe will not only taste great but the winter melon is known for its detoxification, which will promote weight loss.
Ingredients for this winter melon soup recipe:
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup cooked or Chinese ham, diced
- 1 1/2 cups canned lotus seeds, drained
- Salt and sugar to taste
- finely chopped spring onion to garnish
- 1 whole winter melon
- The first step in this winter melon soup recipe is to boil some water. Bring the 4 cups of water to boil in a pot, add the barley and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Slice the top third of the winter melon using a knife. This top piece will be used a lid further into the recipe.
- Remove the top section of the winter melon. Scoop out the flesh and seeds inside the winter melon, leaving about 1/2 inch of thickness to the shell.
- In this step of the winter melon soup recipe you will add ingredients to the water. Add the ham, chicken and lotus seeds to the water with barley on the stove top; continue to cook for 12 minutes.
- Add the pot of ingredients to the hollow winter melon shell. Transfer these very hot ingredients carefully.
- Use the previously sliced melon top as a lid to cover the melon.
- Place the melon in the steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
- The final step in this winter melon soup recipe is to garnish. Remove the melon from the steamer and garnish with some spring onion.